Windows 98 shutdown and Norton AntiVirus

Gongoozler 11:20 15 Nov 03

Hi folks. This is not a problem, but instead is possibly of help to anyone who is having Windows98 shutdown trouble. In a thread a while back regarding a Windows 98 startup problem, one of the postings suggested disabling Norton checking the floppy drive at startup and shutdown. As I was having trouble with my Windows 98se about 1 in 3 shutdowns, I thought that I would check this out.

In my Norton AntiVirus 2002, I clicked on Options – Auto-Protect – Advanced, and removed the tick from “Scan floppy disk in A: for boot viruses when shutting down”, and since then I haven’t had one bad shutdown (at this point I touch the nearest piece of wood I can find). I have tried the same on 2 other computers with Windows 98 and Norton AV installed with similar success.

I have previously blamed Windows and ZoneAlarm for the bad shutdowns, not realizing that Norton was accessing the floppy drive at shutdown. I just can’t think of any good reason why I should want to routinely check my floppy disk for viruses every time I shut down my computer.

anchor 12:42 15 Nov 03

Thanks for the tip. I did not have shutdown problems as such with XP-Pro, but on shutdown it was noisily trying to scan drive A.

This happened even when there was no floppy disc inserted. It only occurred if I had used drive A during the current session. Hopefully, your advice will stop this minor nuisance.

Gongoozler 16:41 15 Nov 03

To the top in case it is of use to anyone else.

TommyRed 18:01 15 Nov 03

Come to think of it I used to have shutdown problems with 98Se and it was when I had NAV as well. I changed to AVG when I reformatted and it just stopped happening, wonder if that was the cause. Because I don't remember actually doing something that stopped it, and I tried pretty much everything known to man. TR

VoG II 18:04 15 Nov 03

"If your anti-virus software is set to scan your floppy drives on shutdown, this can result in various symptoms including the computer hanging on shutdown. Often (but not always) a clue will be that the floppy drive light comes on during shutdown. The solution is to disable this particular feature in the anti-virus program."

click here

Gongoozler 08:53 16 Nov 03

Hi VoG. I thought it must be documented somewhere and that link of yours gives some really useful ideas for startup and shutdown problems for all versions of Windows. What I really can't understand is why Norton has floppy drive checking at shutdown set by default, and then bury the option so that it requires 4 mouse clicks to disable it.

I think that enough people will have seen this thread, so I'll tick it as resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…