Windows 98 shutdown and Norton AntiVirus

Gongoozler 11:20 15 Nov 03

Hi folks. This is not a problem, but instead is possibly of help to anyone who is having Windows98 shutdown trouble. In a thread a while back regarding a Windows 98 startup problem, one of the postings suggested disabling Norton checking the floppy drive at startup and shutdown. As I was having trouble with my Windows 98se about 1 in 3 shutdowns, I thought that I would check this out.

In my Norton AntiVirus 2002, I clicked on Options – Auto-Protect – Advanced, and removed the tick from “Scan floppy disk in A: for boot viruses when shutting down”, and since then I haven’t had one bad shutdown (at this point I touch the nearest piece of wood I can find). I have tried the same on 2 other computers with Windows 98 and Norton AV installed with similar success.

I have previously blamed Windows and ZoneAlarm for the bad shutdowns, not realizing that Norton was accessing the floppy drive at shutdown. I just can’t think of any good reason why I should want to routinely check my floppy disk for viruses every time I shut down my computer.

anchor 12:42 15 Nov 03

Thanks for the tip. I did not have shutdown problems as such with XP-Pro, but on shutdown it was noisily trying to scan drive A.

This happened even when there was no floppy disc inserted. It only occurred if I had used drive A during the current session. Hopefully, your advice will stop this minor nuisance.

Gongoozler 16:41 15 Nov 03

To the top in case it is of use to anyone else.

TommyRed 18:01 15 Nov 03

Come to think of it I used to have shutdown problems with 98Se and it was when I had NAV as well. I changed to AVG when I reformatted and it just stopped happening, wonder if that was the cause. Because I don't remember actually doing something that stopped it, and I tried pretty much everything known to man. TR

VoG II 18:04 15 Nov 03

"If your anti-virus software is set to scan your floppy drives on shutdown, this can result in various symptoms including the computer hanging on shutdown. Often (but not always) a clue will be that the floppy drive light comes on during shutdown. The solution is to disable this particular feature in the anti-virus program."

click here

Gongoozler 08:53 16 Nov 03

Hi VoG. I thought it must be documented somewhere and that link of yours gives some really useful ideas for startup and shutdown problems for all versions of Windows. What I really can't understand is why Norton has floppy drive checking at shutdown set by default, and then bury the option so that it requires 4 mouse clicks to disable it.

I think that enough people will have seen this thread, so I'll tick it as resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…