Windows 98 SE Setup problem

toogie 21:34 11 Oct 05

Because of various problems with Win 98, finally decided to use Win 98 SE disk to setup from scratch.

All ok for first 30 min now message "Cannot find the file C\windows\system\regsvr32.exe"
Can anyone tell me how I get over this problem ?

Am setting up at this moment so would be grateful for help from anyone able to advise now.

AndySD 21:39 11 Oct 05

My first thought is to check the cd is clean (I once spent hours trying to solve an install and thats all it was)

toogie 21:47 11 Oct 05

Thanks Andy, the cleaning has allowed the process to continue. I am keeping fingers crossed that there will be no more hiccups. If there are you may well see me online again tonight.

woodchip 21:47 11 Oct 05

Try this it may still work. start with 98 startup floppy disc at A:\type SCANREG /RESTORE press enter to see if it's kept the reg backup intact, if it as choose the old date

toogie 21:55 11 Oct 05

Back again..Another message..."the file s3mm.dll on Windows 98SE disk cannot be found"

It gives me the option to copy file from "C\Windows\System\Precopy" or skip

Hitting ok does nothing can I skip ?

AndySD 22:14 11 Oct 05

Skip it I think its only a video driver.

woodchip 22:16 11 Oct 05

Yes sounds like a old S3Trio graphics

toogie 22:19 11 Oct 05

I tried, it will not let me skip. Even though the option is there.

AndySD 22:32 11 Oct 05

It sounds like the cd is damaged, can you copy the cd onto a new one on the pc you are on?

woodchip 22:34 11 Oct 05

May be a good IDEA to delete the Windows folder in DOS and then rerun setup. this will leave you docs pics etc

woodchip 22:35 11 Oct 05

But E-Mail will be gone as that's in the Windows folder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…