Windows 98 SE reinstall problem

Ozric 14:46 27 Jan 03

After installing a USB 2.0 PCI card, Windows 98SE became so unstable that I decided to re-install it. The reinstall procedure failed at the hardware detection stage, so I removed the new hardware and tried reinstalling using the former configuration. This still fails at the hardware setup stage with a message "MSGSRV32 caused a protection error in module MMSYSTEM.DLL". Any ideas?

Djohn 15:01 27 Jan 03

click here see if this helps, if not please post back.

stuntmaster 10:32 28 Jan 03

from stuntmaster -

yes I have the same problem but with no usb card!
problem being is some win98se versions are broken so my best bet is to go get windows me it supports usb 2.0 better and installs with less space.

hope this helps!

regards stuntmaster.

Djohn 10:54 28 Jan 03

stuntmaster, I don't think that ME does support USB2, but winxp will with the correct update patch. Regards, J.

Ozric 11:13 28 Jan 03

which brings me to my next problem. I wany a USB2 patch for Windows XP Pro without installinf service pack 1. Is there one?

Djohn 11:25 28 Jan 03

Ozric, not sure, but I would think that you can download the patch from M/S site.

I have win98se and have recently installed a PCI card for USB2 and it works fine.

Ozric 14:36 29 Jan 03

Djohn, The Windows 98SE problem, "MSGSRV32 caused a protection error in module MMSYSTEM.DLL" was not resolved by the procedures at the link you suggested, but it is obviously related, so any further ideas would be appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…