Windows 98 SE Freezes Intermitantly

Rob6 10:13 05 Aug 05

Jeez I've been having problems lately! Have just put in a new motherboard bundle and PSU (for me that was a big deal). And reinstalling drivers etc was a bit stressful because I had not done that before. Anyway now have the PC up and running but I get frequent freezing up - from within 1 minute to 20 minutes of start up. Any ideas?

petescully 13:02 05 Aug 05

Over heating?

or i could be a software related thing.

Try in safe mode, press F8 when i turns on til you get the boot menu list. See if it happens in there. If it does its probably heat. If it doesn't its probably either drivers of software causing the problem.

If it doesn't, start-run type "msconfig" and go onto "startup" and de-select all of the items.

Try again in normal windows. Then go back into msconfig and start ticking back on, one by one, til it happens again.

Or if its drivers.... Control panel-Device manager - delete the probable cause - but be careful.....

Good luck

xania 13:07 05 Aug 05

I'm not clear from your description, but if you did not completely reinstall windows, you should do so now. The problem could well be that you have both old and new drivers on ths system now and these are creating conflicts.

pk470 13:11 05 Aug 05

Just one more thing to what already has been said
did you use thermal paste when you put the processor in??? if not you should have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 05 Aug 05

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans / try mother board moitor 5 to check your temperatures click here

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

pk470 20:57 06 Aug 05

How much RAM are you using?? W98 doesn't like memory
above 512MB i never went above 314mb.

dan11 22:12 06 Aug 05

" If it doesn't, start-run type "msconfig" and go onto "startup" and de-select all of the items. "

please do not do this with windows 98se, it is alright with XP, but not 98. You must have sys tray, scan registry, task monitor and load power profile ( if listed ).

If you de-select these, there is a good chance that windows will not load.

woodchip 22:23 06 Aug 05

Did you do a clean install?

woodchip 22:24 06 Aug 05

Did you do a clean install?

Stuartli 23:45 06 Aug 05

Further to that, IIRC "load power profile" or similar wording had to be listed and enabled twice...:-)

dan11 00:08 07 Aug 05

I was racking what brain I have, trying to remember what was important in msconfig / startup, for 98.:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…