windows 98 se explorer errror message

sugarbabe 10:24 17 Nov 07

Hi I am trying to mend a 'dan' windows 98se machine that is showing error message 'explorer performed an illegal operation and needs to close' if i look at the details on message mention kernel32.dll page fault.

The dan machine came with a recovery cd but as far as i can see if only tests and reinstalls drivers nothing on there about reinstalling windows.

also have a boot disk but gain cannot get it to reload windows

i have run scandisk and chkdsk, there is nothing on machine that needs keeping so could reinstall windows but as i say cannot get recovery disc to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

MAJ 10:55 17 Nov 07

Could be a virus or a damaged RAM module, but invalid page faults can be caused by a shedload of things. click here

If you find you want to reinstall Windows, could you borrow a 98se disk from a mate maybe?

sugarbabe 12:02 17 Nov 07

thanks for that unfortunately don't know anyone that got it, can't see why it's not on recovery cd, i've explored it and it has things like format.exe and attribute.exe but can't see anything that looks like windows set up

MAJ 12:10 17 Nov 07

If you aren't seeing a lot of .cab files on the disk then it probably isn't a restore disk. I'm wondering ifthere's a hidden partition on the hard drive itself and maybe the CD is used to kick that into life. Have you tried booting from the CD?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 17 Nov 07

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

Technotiger 14:43 17 Nov 07

If all else fails, I have a 98SE disk which I could send to you - just contact me via my envelope if you want it.

sugarbabe 18:21 17 Nov 07

Thanks for your help have tried the internet explorer repair already but that did no good.

Haven't tried booting from cd tried booting from floppy but that didn't reload windows. Will give that a go

woodchip 18:28 17 Nov 07

If you start the Computer with recovery disc it will find a hidden Partition to restore from. But save all files first, as they will be gone after

sugarbabe 21:17 21 Nov 07

ran windows repair or similar from recovery cd and it seemed to be working fine, kept all files etc seemed to be working great.

But couldn't launch outlook express error message ' Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded'
i removes and reloaded outlook and then tried a regedit thing i found on internet i could then load outlook express but couldn't open messages said not configured and to reload outlook which i tried. Now back to MSOE dll error message.

Any ideas?? at moment it has outlook express 5 on it, can't find an older version to download considering this is windows 98 se machine thought that might help

ßoolian 21:21 21 Nov 07

Why are you still using 98SE anyway? XP/2000/Vista are much better, stable, secure, faster and designed better and programmed better

sugarbabe 21:24 21 Nov 07

it's not my pc if it was up to me it would be in the bin, but dear old lady i'm mending it for will not give it up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos