Windows 98 Screen settings

Rodney-211388 18:05 30 Aug 05

On booting up this morning, I lost all screen settings and in particular I cannot adjust screen area from 640x480 pixels.

Associated with this was a file missing message relating to Norton that I had uninstalled a year ago; SYMTDI.VXD this I have again deleted from the Registry and the file missing message has gone away.

sattman 18:28 30 Aug 05

You could try to restore the registry using scanreg/restore.

However the following might be associated with your problem when a SYMTDI.VXD file is giving problems

The Steps are:
Uninstall NIS 2002
Reboot
Install NIS 2003
When the NIS 2003 Install asks you to reboot your system select "NO".
Then Select Start > Control Panel > System (if you have Classic
control panel view selected)
or
Start > COntrol Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System (if your
COntrol Panel is set to Category View)
Select the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager.
In the Device Manager window that opens click on View > Show hidden
devices.
Under Non-Plug and Play Drivers Select SYMTDI
Right mouse click and select properties.
In the SYMTDI Properties window select the Driver Tab
In the Startup Section select type as "Automatic"
Click "OK"
Close Device Manager
Close Control Manager
Select Start > Turn off Computer > Restart
This time the computer will reboot without the error.
Logon
Norton Internet Security configure program will now run to setup NIS

Diemmess 18:34 30 Aug 05

A short cut if the problem is only very recent--

Reboot and keep dabbing F8 until the DOS screen of options appears (before windows itself loads)

Select - Command Prompt Only

(At the C:> cursor, type) scanreg /restore (include the space after scanreg)

Select an earlier date when the computer has run satisfactorily. This only offers about the last five days.

Allow the thing do do its stuff and it should reboot into the happier monitor display.

That still leaves you with some dreg ends of the Norton programme which can be notoriously difficult to clear, but if that is all that remains, you can post back here for advice on cleaning the rubbish away.

Strawballs 20:46 30 Aug 05

click here This will get rid of any scraps of norton

Rodney-211388 21:04 30 Aug 05

I tried the recommendation of Diemmess but only got back the file missing warning.

As for sattman's, under Device Manager I don't have View>Show hidden devices etc. Incidentally, I don't use norton any longer (since over 1 year) I use Micro Trend - is there likely to be a conflict?

Rodney-211388 21:04 30 Aug 05

I tried the recommendation of Diemmess but only got back the file missing warning.

As for sattman's, under Device Manager I don't have View>Show hidden devices etc. Incidentally, I don't use norton any longer (since over 1 year) I use Micro Trend - is there likely to be a conflict? All has been well until now!

woodchip 21:35 30 Aug 05

In Windows Explorer, check in the Windows Folder for a Win.Bak or something like it check the date and compare with Win.ini as I think it as been changed the Win.ini controls your Display. you can restore by rename

woodchip 21:37 30 Aug 05

also check in same folder that System.ini as not been changed

Rodney-211388 21:54 30 Aug 05

woodchip - there is a Wininit.Bak

All are dated August 30th - however, I am not skilled enough to mess about in the areas you are suggesting without step by step instruction.

woodchip 22:03 30 Aug 05

No not Wininit. it wil be a Win.bak or Win.old or some such. what about the System.ini file, in my computer the Win.ini is 8kb the System.ini is 3kb so they should not vary much in size from that

woodchip 22:20 30 Aug 05

If no go with the Above reload Graphics drivers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…