WINDOWS 98 PCMCIA BOOT DISK

wooster007 20:22 18 May 06

HI THERE

I HAVE RECENTLY FORMATTED MY DADS LAPTOP DELL LATITUDE CS 400MHZ 6GIG HARDDRIVE WAS RUNNING WIN 98,
IT HAS AN EXTERNAL FLOPPY IN THE PRINTER PORT AND AN EXTERNAL PCMCIA CDROM DRIVE THAT CANT BE RECOGNIZED I HAVE TRIED BOOTING FROM WIN 98 FLOPPY AND I GET A ERROR MESSAGE NO VALID CDROM DEVISE DRIVERS SELECTED SO I GATHER I NEED A BOOT DISK WITH THESE DRIVERS ON HOW DO I DO THIS AND WHERE CAN I GET THESE FROM.
OR IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TYPE IN DOS TO RUN THE CDROM.

KIND REGARDS STEVE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 18 May 06
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 18 May 06

To use
wher??.sys is the driver file

copy the ??.SYS file over to the disk.

On the disk - Edit the CONFIG.SYS file:
Change: device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
To: device=??.sys /D:mscd001

On the disk - Edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
Change: LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
To: LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD01 /L:E > NUL

Save the file changes and remove the disk.
Setup the laptop; connect the PCMCIA CD-ROM, floppy drive and AC power.

Put in the floppy disk and turn on the system.

THE CD ROM DRIVE WILL BE LETTERED E DRIVE!
E:
After it’s done booting and you’re at the A:> prompt you can run fdisk to erase any old partitions and create new ones, format an existing disk, or just go right into the OS setup.

more drivers for a universal CD drive for a dell click here at the bottom of the page

wooster007 20:46 18 May 06

is there anywheer else where i can download the drivers for free i havent got a payment card.

wooster007 20:55 18 May 06

RIGHT IVE DOWNLOADED THE FILE NOW WHAT DO I DO DO COPY AND PASTE TO BOOT DISK??

KIND REGARDS

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:15 18 May 06

Before you do anything lets check you have the correct drivers.

Does the CD rom have a make and model No. on it?
I know its a dell latitude laptop but thr CD rom could be made by any company such as Panasnis / Toshiba etc.

ade.h 21:21 18 May 06

PLEASE DON'T SHOUT.

wooster007 21:40 18 May 06

It has a make and model number on the adapter could this be it F.C.C.Class B:kfn-pcm-pfrl05

its a citirom adapter

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 18 May 06

click here

option 2

woodchip 23:42 18 May 06

If you are going to reload 98. Download the tenth file from click here this as some CD drivers on it. change the BIOS to boot order of Floppy first\CD second\Hard Drive Thired. the downloaded file will create it's own boot disc to a floppy disc if you put one in the drive and double click the file. You then Start with the Floppy disc and choose start with CD Rom support it will tell you if it finds the drive. If it does have the win98 CD in the drive and type E:\ at the A:\> prompt it should change to E:\> then type SETUP and press enter

woodchip 23:44 18 May 06

PS have you also tried just booting the comp with the CD in the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…