Windows 98 not recognising CDRW as a CD ROM

Praxis99 20:33 28 Dec 04

Having recently upgraded to a DVD burner I offered my sister my old CDRW to use.

Unfortunately its been a long while since I have used a PC with Windows 98 installed which my sister has and I have no experience of carrying out any hardware upgrades with this version of Windows.

Long story short when I fitted the drive this afternoon it was recognised as a CD Rom not CDRW and consequently is not much use to my sis since she already has a CD Rom drive!

I am a little at a loss as to how to remedy this situation and would appreciate any help from anyone who has carried out similar upgrade work with Win 98.

LastChip 20:48 28 Dec 04

Right Click My Computer; Properties; Device Manager; and expand the CDROM tree. See if its listed there correctly.

If not, highlight the device and select Properties; Driver tab; and click on update driver. Make sure you have the appropriate driver on a floppy or CD and follow the Wizard to update the driver.

Cuddles 23:39 28 Dec 04

Go to my computer > control panel > sytem > device manager remove from there then reboot, drivers are generic fro cd drives ie they are loaded from windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…