windows 98 not detecting dvd rom

pj1664 12:11 13 Nov 07

Can anyone tell me why in my BIOS my HDD and DVD rom are present as master and slave but when windows load up the dvd rom is no where to be seen. I just install a new MOBO and I need to load all the chipset drivers via my dvd rom but it cant detect my drive. Any ideas why this happends and what is the way around this? appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Totally-braindead 12:36 13 Nov 07

Are you using a blank hard drive or is it one with windows on it from a previous system?

I am wondering if its the latter if that is somehow causing this.

pj1664 12:44 13 Nov 07

its windows from previous system, as windows was already installed I just changed the MOBO and hopeing the OS would just pick the new MOBO and load accordingly.

Totally-braindead 12:51 13 Nov 07

I believe you can do this with XP but am unsure about any other OS. I also have never done it myself prefering a clean install.
Only thing I can say is it should work ok after all all optical drives just use a standard driver which is in all systems.
The only suggestion I have is to double check the jumper settings on the drives. If they are on the same IDE cable then the hard drive should be Master and be on the end of the cable and the DVD should be slave and should be in the middle.
Other than that I have no ideas at the moment.

pj1664 12:59 13 Nov 07

Thanks for your help.

Zion_Lion 13:42 13 Nov 07

Hi mate... is your new motherboard a, what I would call brand new i.e. with all the latest specifications, don’t for get win98 is old for today's standards.
Try Putting the DVD drive on the secondry IDE cannel as the master if you have one on your new board.
If your using Win98se download the unofficial service pack from click here
I also have the free cdgod utility that contains 50 CD drivers that was meant for win95 but has bee known to have its uses in 98 that I can email you if you wish.

ZL

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 13 Nov 07

its windows from previous system, as windows was already installed I just changed the MOBO and hopeing the OS would just pick the new MOBO and load accordingly.

It won't you wil need to unistall old motherboard drivers and install the new motherboard drivers.

The IDE controller driver in windows will be wrong you are lucky its seeing your HDD.

pj1664 19:02 13 Nov 07

OK I have reinstalled win 98 again as fresh copy and still same problems, it sees it in BIOS but not in windows itself, I do not have an additional IDE channel so its sharing the same ide cable with the HDD. So new instalation shoud pick it up right? but it dosent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 13 Nov 07

So new instalation shoud pick it up right? but it dosent.

No, you need to load the new motherboard drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard.

pj1664 19:41 13 Nov 07

Fruit Bat/\0/\, thats the whole point, because the cd rom is not there in windows, how can I load the MOBO drivers which is on a cd.

pj1664 19:44 13 Nov 07

Hi Zion_Lion, I have been to the site you suggested but which file do I download,I dont actually see a service pack all I see are links to different files, unless I am looking at the right place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video