Windows 98 no longer shuts down

plantzzman 22:10 05 Feb 04

Wonder if anyone can advise.
The PC at work is also used by the bosses oldest daughter to connect to the internet as it is the only PC with a modem.
We opperate Windows 98 and virus software is AVX which updates atleast once per week.
I got to work today only to find the PC will no longer shut down.When you click shut down and ok it the screen changes as if it is going to close but then goes back to normal.My boss is never sure what she gets upto while online but we have told her countless times to be careful and dont download things.She said things started to go funny after clicking a link to view a picture or something like that.She said it was saved to a particular folder. Looking in the folder the only file which was downloaded last night was called chase_online patch.exe as we can see some kind of exe file has been downloaded-and I presume she has run it. We find that to close down now we have to click ctrl alt del and shut down something called svchost and then the pc will close down. The virus software was updated today but has not found anything.
Anyone got any views or advice? other than stopping the daughter from using the PC.
Thanks

VoG II 22:15 05 Feb 04
  woodchip 22:18 05 Feb 04

Start Computer with a Win98 Floppy startup Disc, at A:\> type SCANREG/RESTORE then choose a date before the problem. Like this

a:\>SCANREG/RESTORE press enter

woodchip 22:19 05 Feb 04

Delete the EXE files that's been downloaded

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…