windows 98 log on password

KEITH BONARIUS 11:30 17 Jan 05

I have accquired an old pc running windows 98,it has a username and password to log on.The person who entered it has forgotten it how can I remove it.
Regards Keith.

ACOLYTE 11:35 17 Jan 05

If i remember and i may be wrong but just pressing ok/cancel without entering a password goes straight to the desktop,may be wrong though not used 98 for a while.If not then it requires the .pwl list be deleted.

Graham ® 11:38 17 Jan 05

Take out the CMOS battery for 30 minutes.

ACOLYTE 11:45 17 Jan 05

Graham ®,sorry but i dont see how taking the battery out would alter the windows password,the bios password maybe,may be wrong tho.

Graham ® 11:53 17 Jan 05

ACOLYTE, it worked for me. It defaults the BIOS (Setup).

ACOLYTE 12:09 17 Jan 05

Graham ® if it works for you m8 then thats all that matters,lol.I'm still a little dubious as to how it works as the windows password is built in the OS not the bios,and removing the battery just resets the bios to default settings,it should'nt remove a windows password,but like i said if it works no problem,lol.

octal 12:57 17 Jan 05

Windows 98 log on password is when a number of people use the same computer and each have their own desktop, its not a security feature.

To remove it, open Explorer and navigate to the Windows folder and search for *.pwl and delete it.

Go back to the desktop and right click Network Neighbourhood and in the window that opens there's a panel that says Network logon, change this to Windows logon.

Re-boot the computer, it will ask for the password once again, just cancel it. Next time you boot the computer it shouldn't pester you anymore.

octal 13:10 17 Jan 05

Just in case you find more than one pwl file, just delete the one who's name keeps coming up.

Graham ® 13:12 17 Jan 05

Folks, bear in mind Keith cannot log on, unless, as ACOLYTE suggests, there is no password, and pressing OK works.

octal 13:20 17 Jan 05

OK forget all I've said then.

Graham ® 13:24 17 Jan 05

Just fired up my trusty 98. If I enter Setup, I can delete or change Admin. and user passwords, willy nilly.

Keith, when you boot, after the POST tests, you will see bottom left, which key to press to enter setup, on mine it's F2. You only have a short time to press it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…