Windows 98 locks up when using IE

Stephen-276133 21:51 10 Jan 03
  Stephen-276133 21:51 10 Jan 03

I am assiting a relative who has purchased a PC. it is an AMD Duron 1.3Ghz with 64Mb Ram, Nvidia Geforce 2 MX card on a gigabyte MoBo (Sorry cant remember model). The system is running Windows 98 SE and locks up often when using IE to Browse the net. Sometimes the system locks up when the windows security prompt asks for the user name and password. I have downloaded Opera, and Opera works fine. I have tried upgrading to IE 5.5 & IE 6 but both versions still lock up the system. The seller of the system says that it is a software problem and will not do anything about it. I cant decide wether it is a hardware problem as I have seen mention of similar problems with various graphics cards. Where should I go now. Upgrade the Nvidia Drivers..? Upgrade the memory..? or just reinstall the OS.. any ideas greatly appreciated..

VoG™ 22:21 10 Jan 03

Try turning down hardware acceleration (graphics card) and see if that makes a difference. Control Panel/System/Device manager

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…