Windows 98 keeps restarting after locking up

Mat2 18:54 05 Feb 04

Hi Folks

A friend has a problem with his computer, he is running Windows 98, Norton AV, that is all i know. He was surfing the net on the LOHTR website the computer locked up, he pressed the restart button on the computer and now when Windows loads the desktop is blank, it then restarts, it keeps doing this until a message appears about Safe mode. When in safe mode windows loads just like normal. Any ideas you be appriciated.

Mat2

Valvegrid 19:59 05 Feb 04

Try entering in safe mode.

Start the computer and keep tapping the F8 key till a menu appears, use the arrow keys to select 'start in safe mode'

If you can get into windows, go to Start>Run and type msconfig, in the window that opens click on the Startup tab and untick all the startup options apart from Systray and Explorer. If you re boot the computer and see if Windows starts. Start ticking the options one-by-one and re booting and see if you can find which program is stopping normal operation.

Mat2 20:04 05 Feb 04

Hi Valvegrid

Thanks for your reply, i will tell him to try your suggestion.

Mat2

Mat2 17:35 09 Feb 04

Hi Folks

My friend decided to reformat his hard drive and re-installed windows and it has seamed to solve his problem.

Mat2

Valvegrid 17:37 09 Feb 04

Great stuff, glad he's got it sorted and thanks for the feeback.

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…