Windows 98 installation

kaf2 23:16 19 Nov 03

Tried to install Windows 98 (after failed windows 2000 installation, no activation key..not my fault!) in an attempt to get the thing working. Went into BIOS and changed first boot to Cdrom to try and overide the Windows 2000 partial install....all well until the bit where it catalogues hardware, re starts and goes to A:\, tried re installing it again by doing setup from D:\cd win98>setup, just goes through the process again. Nothing at all previously loaded on hard drive (apart from the partial Windows 2000)
Any ideas? Shall I just get rid of all the Windows partial installs by formatting hard drive and start from scratch? If so, how do I do it? Thanks

critic-al 23:19 19 Nov 03

best bet is to format your hard drive and do a clean install of 98

dazzling (work) 23:22 19 Nov 03

have you got a win 98 boot disk if so boot from it. at the a prompt type "format c:" note the space between format and c.then just follow the instructions.darren

VoG II 23:23 19 Nov 03
  kaf2 23:40 19 Nov 03

Thanks
Haven't got a boot disk , haven't got far enough in installation to make one yet!

Could I use one that I have from another pc? or is that a daft question?

dazzling (work) 23:54 19 Nov 03

if its a win 98 one yes.if you know someone with win98 they can make you one start>settings>controlpanel>addremove programs>startup disk.you just need a blank floppy.darren

Terrahawk 06:07 20 Nov 03

if you need a boot disk download fom here click here insert a floppy then double click the file you downloaded it wil create a boot disk for you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…