Windows 98 how to upgrage to windows XP

sparkie1 06:46 04 Jul 04

I am fairly new to computing and have been told that I need to upgrade from Windows 98SE to Windows XP Home Edition. Is this a simple task, do I just get an upgrade disk or do I have to reformat and start again?

hillybilly 06:56 04 Jul 04

First thing is to make sure your pc can take XP whats the spec of your machine?

Rogerfredo 10:14 04 Jul 04

If you go to the microsoft site, and windows XP, you will see all the info you need about upgrading.
If your system is up to it, I would buy an OEM version of the full XP Home CD, and reformat.
These are available for about £60, but you might have to purchase some other piece of computing equipment with it to satisfy the legislation (I bought a cheap mouse).
The only difference between the OEM version and the "Stand alone" version is that you don't get the after sales free help.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:25 04 Jul 04

Spec would appear to be fairly irrelevant, I have used a 166/64Mb machine that has been upgraded to XP and it is reasonably fast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…