Windows 98 freezing up.

nick_j007 11:09 19 May 03

Morning all, Listening to a friend over the weekend and they were telling me how their PC will work initially and then after a time it will freeze. Ctrl, Alt, Delete will not help at all and it needs to be turned off manually.
Basically, it would seem that they don't have a clue in terms of PC maintenance like defragging etc. so a reasonably experienced user I have offered to have a look at the whole thing and clean it up a bit.
I wanted to ask here before going if the description of their problem is likely to be something specific? Or should I just go over it bit by bit and clean up all the drives etc in the hope that it will be freed up then.

Many thanks in advance,

Nick

The Transporter 11:17 19 May 03

Windows 98 is getting on a bit now and isn't as reliable as XP for example. I used M.E. for ages but finally got tired of the blue screen for no apparent reason. I now use XP overall is is an excellent o/s.

I would suggest doing a fresh install and starting from scratch, save all the important files etc and start over.

This is because i used to run 98 and it was always easier to spend 30 mins reinstalling than spend hours and hours trying to fix an unobvious problem.

I would check though to see if a virus is on the pc, if any programs are conflicting or drivers are not up to date.

Word and excel files can take up loads of space, if you can partition the drive and keep the o/s on one partition and then put programs and word files etc on other partitions. It will keep the actual drive for the o/s clean.

You could defrag the hard drive but if it looks like it is going to take a long time i would abort it and do a frsh install.

Hope it helps

keith-236785 11:32 19 May 03

one other option, is the cpu fan still working cos if not the proc could be overheating and causing this problem. to check this you will need to remove the case cover unless the motherboard has monitoring feature, some on starting up ( boot screens) show things like cpu temperature and fan speed, its an easy one to check (CAUTION IF THE COMPUTER IS UNDER WARRANTY DON'T TAKE THE COVER OFF, YOU WILL INVALIDATE THE WARRANTY). Hope this helps.

NadineCoyleRocks 15:18 19 May 03

You might want to check if your PC is showing a constant hard drive light.

It could be a driver issue, but to me it sounds like a hardware problem. Over heating is a definate poss.

nick_j007 16:38 19 May 03

I wondered about a virus so will see what cover they have if any.
I shall print this off for reference. Hope I'm not opening a can of worms eh?!

Thank you all for the time,

Nick

vienna1981 18:10 19 May 03

funnily enough my windows 98se has been freezing up a lot and ctrl+alt+del is not helping and the PC has to be started manually. I poster about it before, but have had no luck. This started very recently

vienna1981 18:10 19 May 03

funnily enough my windows 98se has been freezing up a lot and ctrl+alt+del is not helping and the PC has to be started manually. I posted about it before, but have had no luck. This started very recently

bof:) 19:30 19 May 03

Hi All,

If doing a clean up, you could also run 'System File Checker' to make sure all of their system files are ok.

Make sure their win98 cd rom is in the cd drive (cancel the automatic startup if they are using autostart) and then goto start>run and type in sfc and press enter.

Ths system file checker will then scan the system files for any corrupted files. If it finds any you can then repair them by getting the original files copied from the win 98 cd rom.

Mike

nick_j007 12:55 20 May 03

Nice one Mike...noted thanks.

Nick

Carafaraday 13:00 22 May 03

Similar to above problem but I get total freeze on mouse and keyboard - can't do anything, not even close down properly. The drive is regularly defragged. Any suggestion welcome. Even a way to shut down without having to see Scandisk on reboot would be a help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…