Windows 98 - failure to shut down

toogie 17:49 30 Jun 05

Whenever I shut down my PC a message appears to say "Windows is shutting down" but I no longer receive the message that "it is safe to turn off the computer".
On rebooting a message will often appear saying "C drive is being scanned" because the computer was shut down in correctly, or words to this effect.
I am assuming the two incidents are connected.
Is there a simple remedy ?

TOPCAT® 18:12 30 Jun 05

Here's Microsoft's troubleshooter for Win98 shutdown problems. TC.

click here

woodchip 18:22 30 Jun 05

This can be as a result of corrupt sound file. Or a Program that windows cannot shut down. for sound go to control panel\sounds remove the shut down sound file then try comp. you will also find instruction on shut down troubleshooting under start\help

VoG II 18:53 30 Jun 05
  Gongoozler 20:09 30 Jun 05

Hi toogie. You may find the solution from the postings above, but there's a very good chance that you will never completely resolve this problem. Windows 98 was written at a time when 100MHz was a fast processor, and I think that the root of the problem is that the computer does the shutdown tasks faster than Windows can keep up with. The only really positive cure I have had was when Norton antivirus was checking the floppy drive before shutting down. Disabling that allowed Windows 98 to shut down correctly. On other computers I have just had to accept the problem. The only 100% successful solution for me was to upgrade to Windows XP, and even that gives shutdown problems for some people.

toogie 13:10 02 Jul 05

Gongoozler do I understand that you do not think a complete reload of W98 would solve the problem. By the way this W98 PC is not running Norton antivirus, or any other VC on closedown ?

woodchip 13:58 02 Jul 05

It can be solved

Gongoozler 17:09 04 Jul 05

I'm sure woodchip is right and this can be solved, especially if you've not made any hardware changes since the computer shut down normally. However I don't think Microsoft ever came up with a complete solution to Windows 98 shutdown problems.

toogie 15:31 05 Jul 05

My PC still does not shut down properly i.e. the message "Windows is Shutting down" stays on.

The important point, though, is that, at startup, the system does not do a Disk Scan.

woodchip 15:37 05 Jul 05

It will only do a disc scan if your computer freezes with Operating System still active. How old is the Computer? Also check Start/Run MSCONFIG click Advanced click Disable Fast Shut Down

woodchip 15:59 05 Jul 05

If the Computer is a Old Computer a AT System and Old Motherboard then you will Have to turn of the computer when the screen goes blank. It will not turn off a Old computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…