windows 98 date time problem

hargranules 19:10 10 May 06

Going to see a pc in the morning. Windows 98 that will not retain the correct time / date. It is changed to correct time but if reboot sometime later changes back.

also pc comes up with error message about enabling / disabling cache 1.

Could these 2 problems be related?

woodchip 19:12 10 May 06

All the things you posted are in the BIOS, Also the Motherboard may need a new CMOS Battery

Totally-braindead 19:13 10 May 06

Not sure, normally if it won't keep time its usually the Cmos battery and it would have to be a reasonably old PC cos they don't often fail. But I've never heard of the date and time coming back later on by itself.

woodchip 19:15 10 May 06

When the computer is booting up you should see on the black screen. "To Enter Setup Press Del" but it may be another key like F1 or F2 most are Del=Delete key

Totally-braindead 19:15 10 May 06

Sorry just reread after woodchips post, its not changing back to the correct time its losing the settings again. Its more than likely the battery and the error message is because something in the BIOS is losing its setting at the same time.

hargranules 19:18 10 May 06

if it is cmos battery, am i right in thinking I can runEverest Home edition to get make of motherboard and choose appropriate new battery.

Belatucadrus 19:23 10 May 06

CMOS batteries are usually fairly standard button cells, I think the mark one eyeball is more likely to identify it than Everest.

Stuartli 19:42 10 May 06

Most likely to be a CR2030 lithium battery.

Totally-braindead 19:51 10 May 06

Yep and the cheapest place to buy one is usually the likes of boots, I said usually as one computer retailer wanted to charge me £8 for the battery, needless to say I never bought it, got it at boots for £2.99 I think it was. Just take the old one out and look at the number on it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:18 10 May 06

CMOS Battery
click here

Stuartli 20:35 10 May 06

My best mate runs an independent audio/visual/applainces outlet - he sells them at around £1.20 and still makes a useful profit.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…