Windows 98 Crashing

Mal-pat 09:41 12 Nov 04

A friends has just got his first computer old one running windows 98 but It keeps crashing the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds the comes back on with a blue screen and the message FATAL ERROR -OE AT 0028: C004A26E IN VXD VFAT (01)+00008AB2 when I press any key the screen goes black except for a horizontal cursor in the bottom right corner it has done this 5 times the only way out is to button it and It restarts ok, I also have a windows 98SE disk would it be better to remove 98 and replace with 98se bearing in mind I have no driver discs for his computer,Other info I am trying to set him up on the web from scrach could this have anything to do with it.

curlylad 10:40 12 Nov 04

Try this link http:// support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188867 (remove gap between // and support) , at this link you will also notice a link to another microsoft based article that could help here number 192926.Give these a go then let us know the outcome.

Belatucadrus 10:46 12 Nov 04

A reformat would probably be a good idea, but try to download the drivers first, Everest should ID all the relevant devices click here and may well provide links to their manufacturers pages so that you can download the drivers, or click here for a good site to dig out drivers, use the navigation box in the right hand side to choose other device types.

curlylad 10:54 12 Nov 04

Good advice as ever from Belatucadrus , if you can't fix this then perhaps format is the option.However as an after thought to my first response , VXD extension could indicate that a virtual device driver (VXD) file is mising or corrupt.If you recently installed a new device or program , uninstall it and then reinstall it.If this doesn't cure the problem you will need to obtain a new or updated version of the driver file.Belatucadrus' first link to Everest should point you to a site where you can obtain such an updated driver file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…