windows 98 boot problem

Tried installing windows 98 with a boot up floppy disc.
I am getting a message as follows
"no fixed disks present".

Does this mean my hard drive is faulty.
Should I replace it.

I originally had xp on the laptop, but do not know its history as the laptop is secondhand.

It was suggested to me that I should re format the hard drive and install wind 98, with a keycode which I have.

If anyone can advise I would be grateful.

woodchip 18:53 21 Feb 05

If you had XP on the same drive you need to start with Win98 floppy and type FDISK and remove the Partitions then Recreate a new partition activate it shut the computer down THAT MEANS OFF Then restart with Floppy and Format C:

You will then be able to load Win98

Completealias 18:53 21 Feb 05

Looks like your hard drive isn't being found

First step is to go into the BIOS and check that it is set to autodetect hard drives.

Also make sure that the BOOT sequence is set to a: c: cdrom so that it will boot from the floppy.

After you have done this save changes let the pc boot and see if your hard drive is detected in POST

Completealias 18:56 21 Feb 05

Good point file system could b NTFS follow woodchips advice to erase the partion and reformat then try install

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 21 Feb 05

Clean install windows 98
click here

mattyc_92 21:00 21 Feb 05

To start off with, yes you would have to do that proceedure if it is in NTFS...

But, if it was still in NTFS, then the win98 boot disk shouldn't show that error message (as it doesn't on mine or my friends)...

I would believe that the problem lyes in the BIOS settings, the IDE cable (if it is an IDE drive) and/or the drive is physically damaged....

dan11 21:15 21 Feb 05

Spot on woodchip;-)

the windows 98 floppy works on fat32. Fat32 can not see a ntfs partition, so the boot disk can not see a hard drive. Result "no fixed disks present".

octal 21:37 21 Feb 05

FDISK will remove the extended partition in NTFS, but not the logical partition in NTFS, its to stop backwards compatibility to FAT32.

You need to remove the logical partition using DELPART click here scroll down the page and put it on your boot floppy.

click here shows you how to use it.

Completealias 11:12 22 Feb 05

Killdisk will also wipe the drive and partion click here

You'll then need to boot with a 98 floppy use Fdisk to create a partion then format

Thank you for everyones help.
Completealias, seems to be nearer the problem, as been told similar by someone else.
However, I am not sure how to go into bios and whatever that is.
I was told also it could be a broken cable between motherboard and hard drive.
Does this make any sense to anyone.
what is ntfs please.

Dan seems to be sure but unfortunately didnt advise on what to do. If you can help further dan please message.

Grateful thanks to all.

dan11 21:17 22 Feb 05

Most of the posts above have extremely good and pertinent advice.

I start with your NTFS question. FAT32 and NTFS are filing systems used by windows. FAT32 is an older system that is used mainly for windows 95, 98 and millennium editions. NTFS is, in most peoples opinions, a superior filing system. It was mainly used in networked office situations and only used on windows NT, 2000 and now XP.

It's along story but fat filing system evolved from win3.1 ( or even dos ) and has been steadily improved. The NTFS filing system was created after fat had been conceived. Now comes the gist. NTFS filing system can see fat32, because it was built after fat was created. Fat 32 can not see NTFS because it was built before NTFS was created.

So we come to the problem with the floppy disk. The 98 boot disk is, obviously, in fat32. So if you have a NTFS filing system hard drive, the floppy disk will not see the hard drive, it does not know what NTFS is, so it sees no drive.

So you have to use tools to get rid of the NTFS filing system.

Anyway, that's the way I see it, but I may be wrong;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…