Windows 98

K*B 10:16 10 Mar 11

Is there anyone out there still running a pc on Win 98? I am! And it is standalone! Is there any antivirus software these days that runs on Win 98? Are there any more fixes for this outdated OS? I want an antivirus software running on this Win 98 pc of mine, then sooner than later migrate to Vista or Win 7. Before I do the migration can someone link me to a free antivirus software for Win 98 platform? Thanks

woodchip 10:26 10 Mar 11

i run a desktop pc win98se and suggest you download this and load it, i have had it on for years very good. i use a av that i bought many years ago what you cannot now get that runs on 98 never needs updates and never had a virus using it, i dual boot it with win xp home

service pack click here

antony.dandrea 10:27 10 Mar 11
  woodchip 10:27 10 Mar 11

the above av will not work on any other os, so on the xp i use free avast

MAJ 10:51 10 Mar 11

Kaspersky Anti-Virus: click here

K*B 14:25 10 Mar 11

Thanks guys. I'd started thinking my Win 98 has reached a point of no redemption! But Woodchip, if the "Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a" is indeed "Unofficial", then is it really safe to install on a pc? Why is it refferred to as "Unofficial"?
The_Doctor, I will certainly download and install AVG free on the pc, but this pc is not on the internet, so how do I manage the new virus definitions that will be available on the internet daily for updating av? thanks.

woodchip 14:34 10 Mar 11

As I said Works for me and for years. What it means is that its not been put together by MS, but its all the Win98se Updates as much as you will get and you cannot get them nowhere else

K*B 14:46 10 Mar 11

Thanks Woodchip, very well understood.

K*B 17:50 12 Mar 11

Version: 7.289
Date added: December 02, 2004
Price: Free
Operating system: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/NT

Friends, is there a link to the AVG Free Version 7.289? The link given to me in the thread above is to the latest version which runs on Win 7, Vista & XP. I'm looking for a link to a page with a download button that gives AVG Anti-virus Free version 7.289 as indicated above. Thanks.

rdave13 18:20 12 Mar 11

Loads of older Avast AV here on file hippo. Try thae bottom link to see if working and don't update the program. Possibly you'll need to 'view more'.

click here

K*B 13:03 13 Mar 11

Woodchip, in the discription of the service pack you gave me there is the following:

"This is only for WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH. I highly recommend that you should backup your system before installing the pack."

I have downloaded the service pack and am ready to install, but before I do, which system files or folders do I neeed to backup from the Win98SE pc as highly recommended above? Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…