windows 98

dan12 14:17 06 Feb 06

Hi,
My son brought round at the weekend an old pc that had been given to him with a bag of bits and a big ibm tower and monitor.

Anyway I set it up and it had windows 98 as the operating system, it had that much rubbish on there and errors coming up unable to find this and that file.
I decided I would reinstall windows 98, so looked in bag for a 98 instalation cd which i found that one keeps with most pc's.

I made a 98 bootdisk then followed on screen advise to format c: drive No problem, then placed windows cd in, went through ok untill it asked for product key.
The cd didnt come with the cd case that has the product key under the bar code, but is the origanal cd with the logo in the centre saying genuine. is there a way of finding the product key information?

Secondly could i of formated c: within fdisk then reinstall windows or would one have to use the boot disk?as i mentioned.
I know would still of needed product key.
many thanks
Am annoyed with myself for not checking product key first. lesson learnt!!

€dstowe 14:27 06 Feb 06

It is a condition of Microsoft in supplying A Windows computer that the sticker provided with the product key is attached to the computer case. If the machine is, as you say, an IBM model, I would think they they would obey the rules (even if some other companies don't).

Have a look on the back or inside the case. If it isn't there and you have removed the old O/S from the hard drive, the only thing you can do is plead to Microsoft.

rmcqua 14:30 06 Feb 06

I needed to reinstall my Win XP Home and discovered that I had lost the product key during relocation. 'Phoned Microsoft, with disc in hand. They asked me some questions, presumably to verify its authenticity, then kindly gave me a new product key. Worth trying.

dan12 14:37 06 Feb 06

Hi,
My son brought round at the weekend an old pc that had been given to him with a bag of bits and a big ibm tower and monitor.

Anyway I set it up and it had windows 98 as the operating system, it had that much rubbish on there and errors coming up unable to find this and that file.
I decided I would reinstall windows 98, so looked in bag for a 98 instalation cd which i found that one keeps with most pc's.

I made a 98 bootdisk then followed on screen advise to format c: drive No problem, then placed windows cd in, went through ok untill it asked for product key.
The cd didnt come with the cd case that has the product key under the bar code, but is the origanal cd with the logo in the centre saying genuine. is there a way of finding the product key information?

Secondly could i of formated c: within fdisk then reinstall windows or would one have to use the boot disk?as i mentioned.
I know would still of needed product key.
many thanks
Ok many thanks to you will get on my knees i think lol, but will have a look in the case

dan12 14:37 06 Feb 06

sorry that wasn't supposed to happen!!!

dan12 14:40 06 Feb 06

Edstowe&Rmcqua
many thanks, will pradtise getting on my knees!
but will try and look in the tower or on the case.
Cheers

dan12 19:08 06 Feb 06

Hi have spoken to microsoft this afternoon and they have given me a product key so can get off my knees now, so will try that out soon.
Thanks

dan12 20:25 06 Feb 06

Thanks to all,
Now have windows 98 fully restored on this older pc.
regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…