Windows 95 safe mode registry problem

emperor 09:35 30 Apr 03

I have a problem with my W95 computer which does not currently cause me any difficulty, but it might in future. I can start up in 'normal' mode, but not in safe mode - safe mode tells me it encountered a registry problem. If I reach a point where I cannot start normally then I will be stuck, again, with the prospect of another re-installation.

This problem does not seem to be dealt with by previous threads on registry problems.

I have recently had to re-install W95 (and all my other software) and at each stage I restarted both normally and in safe mode, to check that everything was ok. My safe mode problem began after installing AOL 6.0 and logging in. At logout, AOL kindly updated my software, without telling me what it was updating, or giving me the option of refusing the update.

Unfortunately I haven't yet weaned my wife off AOL so I need it installed. I can't just remove it and restore a backup either, because after several days, and at least 7 re-installations, I was fed up and installed other software afterwards. Foolish of me, but I was very fed up.

I have UltraWinCleaner 2000 and Ashampoo WinOptimizer 2000 available, both of which will tell me of some registry errors (and they come up with different lists!), but neither tells the uninitiated (ie me) which, if any, of the errors listed is causing the safe mode problem.

I am not getting any error messages when checking hardware components, and the memory check at start-up is showing the full installed memory is being seen.

Does any one know how I can find out what the specific problem is, and then obtain guidance on how to correct it?

I will not be able to respond to suggestions for a couple of days, but will be able to view and try suggestions in the intervening period, so please accept my thanks in advance.

emperor 13:02 30 Apr 03

Isn't it amazing how far down the list something can drop, just in the space (or is it time?) of a morning.

Philip2 13:12 30 Apr 03

Why did you put AOL 6 back on your computer?? and why are you using such an old OS?? i am not on AOL now but when i had a problem i had to uninstall from control panel after this is done do a search for AOL files you will find at least one and delete them on reinstalling AOL make shore your antivirus software is diabled.

VoG™ 13:15 30 Apr 03

This may help you click here

woodchip 13:16 30 Apr 03

You could try reinstalling Win95 over its self, stop any anti-virus running, the just put the win95 disc in and run setup in windows. It will hopefully restore the needed changes AOL made

emperor 08:24 01 May 03

VoG™, woodchip,
Thanks for your responses. Would you believe it? After trying safe mode last night again, just to confirm that the last few days had been real, instead of the registry error I got into safe mode without a problem.

I didn't believe it, the first time, so I tried it again, and it still got into safe mode.
I don't know why this happened, but I did notice that on the first start-up into safe mode I got the message about updating configuration files etc. I wasn't expecting any to be updated as I didn't think I had made any changes before switching off the previous night.

The upshot is that I don't need to use your suggestions, fortunately, but I do appreciate your making the effort to help. So, although the cause and real solution of the problem has not been determined, the issue has gone away. I will therefore give this the green tick of resolution.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…