windows 95 query

L plate marky 14:20 21 Mar 04

My mum has a computer about 7 years old. It has windows 95 installed. Is it possible to remove 95 and install a newer version? I'm not sure what processor/hard drive is involved.

Thanks for any help.

bremner 14:34 21 Mar 04

To go to Windows 98 this is the minimum specification from the MS site

The following list describes the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 98:
A personal computer with a 486DX 66 megahertz (MHz) or faster processor (Pentium central processing unit recommended).
16 megabytes (MB) of memory (24 MB recommended).
A typical upgrade from Windows 95 requires approximately 195 MB of free hard disk space, but the hard disk space may range from between 120 MB and 295 MB, depending on your computer configuration and the options that you choose to install.
A full install of Windows 98 on a FAT16 drive requires 225 MB of free hard disk space, but may range from between 165 MB and 355 MB, depending on your computer configuration and that options that you choose to install.
A full install of Windows 98 on a FAT32 drive requires 175 MB of free hard disk space, but may range from between 140 MB and 255 MB, depending on your computer configuration and the options that you choose to install.
One 3.5-inch high-density floppy disk drive.
VGA or higher resolution (16-bit or 24-bit color SVGA recommended).

anchor 14:37 21 Mar 04

Yes, you could either format, and install Windows 98, 98-SE or ME, but in this scenario make sure that you have, or can download all the drivers discs for the other hardware on the PC.

An alternative would be to try to get a Win 98 upgrade disc, and install from this. I recall doing this from Win 95 when Win 98 came out. There should be no reason why your Mum`s PC should not run a later Windows version; but XP is probably not an option.

A CD-ROM drive is essential, too. To see the size of the hard drive, right click on it, select properties.

L plate marky 16:07 21 Mar 04

Thanks for all your help folks.

pj123 16:15 21 Mar 04

Try this one. A windows 98SE upgrade from Windows 95 for £67. click here

L plate marky 16:18 21 Mar 04

pj123 cheers. I had suspected that xp (which I have) would not be compatable so I appreciate your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…