windows 95 decompressed, need to uncompress

User-312386 21:38 14 May 03

Hi all

A friend has rang me in a panic

his daughter has compressed his C: drive in windows 95 and he has a massive file about 3GB in size and cannot access his other daughters course work

He now has a H: drive symbol in My Computer although this does not have his daughters cousrework in it

Where the course work should be is a file that is not able to open (screen print to follow when he e-mails the icon to me)

He needs to uncrompress the file and his other daughter is going mad

We need your help here and fast

thanks in advance

LAMINA 22:14 14 May 03

well i'm using win 98, but found this in the drivespace help file hope it helps...
start/progs/accessories/system tools menu

To uncompress a drive

Click the drive you want to uncompress.
On the Drive menu, click Uncompress, and then click Start.
If you have not backed up your files, click Back Up Files, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Click Uncompress Now.
If prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.
Note
Your floppy disk might not have enough free space to uncompress it by using the Uncompress command. For more information on uncompressing a floppy disk, click Related Topics.

LAMINA 22:19 14 May 03

well i'm using win 98, but found this in the drivespace help file hope it helps...
start/progs/accessories/system tools menu

Understanding disk compression

A compressed drive is not a real disk drive, although it appears like one. The contents of a compressed drive are stored in a single file, called a(CVF), which is located on an uncompressed drive, called a . For example, when you compress your hard disk (drive C), DriveSpace 3 assigns a different drive letter to it, such as H. Drive H will be the host for drive C. DriveSpace 3 then compresses your hard disk into a compressed volume file stored on drive H. The compressed volume file on drive H appears as your original drive C, but drive C has more free space than before.

When you view the contents of your computer by using My Computer or Windows Explorer, the host drive is hidden unless it has more than 2 megabytes (MB) of free space. In this case, it is visible, and you can work with it as you would with any other drive.

DriveSpace 3 can also use the free space on an uncompressed drive to create a new, empty compressed drive. For example, instead of compressing drive C, you could use 10 MB of free space to create a new drive, drive G. Drive G will contain approximately 20 MB of free space.

*** TO UNCOMPRESS A DRIVE ***

Click the drive you want to uncompress.
On the Drive menu, click Uncompress, and then click Start.
If you have not backed up your files, click Back Up Files, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Click Uncompress Now.
If prompted to restart your computer, click Yes.
Note
Your floppy disk might not have enough free space to uncompress it by using the Uncompress command. For more information on uncompressing a floppy disk, click Related Topics.

User-312386 23:01 14 May 03

my friend is carrting out a scan disc then will uncompress the C: drive tommorow

will keep you all updated on this as it progresses

thanks again

User-312386 09:59 18 May 03

I actually meant to say that my friend COMPRESSED his drive

He endeavored to uncompress with no joy

any more help

Apparently the H: drive is still there

any more ideas

User-312386 21:55 21 May 03

this one has beaten the forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…