windows 95

Newuser1064 14:28 23 Dec 03

my windows registry DA0 files have gone awol.
The question is can I restore them from my windows 95 disc by using EXTRACT rather doing the whole reload. Answers much appreciated.
JAR.

jules52 15:12 23 Dec 03

If I were you I would reinstall Windows '95 "straight over the top" of existing.It could prove a lot less hassle in the long run!

Peter 16:04 23 Dec 03

By DA0 files do you mean System.da0 & User.da0? If this is the case, then as far as I know these are just the previous version of your System.dat & User.dat. They should be replaced when you restart Windows.

They may be difficult to find in Explorer as their attributes are set rhsa and will not show up unless you have told explorer to show all files.

Peter.

Jester2K 16:19 23 Dec 03

You might be better off explaining whats wrong EXACTLY.

The registry isn't something thats installed from the Windows CD. Its created by Windows as you go along. Even if you could re-install it from the CD it would have loads of information missing...

Newuser1064 11:14 24 Dec 03

Many thanks, I will have to re-install windows.
Jos.

Jester2K 11:59 24 Dec 03

Hang on. If you can explain the problem you might able to recover the registry from a backup or use a repair tool.

Does Win95 have ScanReg or backup the registry on boot up, anyone?

alcudia 12:25 24 Dec 03

If I remember rightly there was a utility on the 95 cd called Cfgback, but this had to be installed, and then run manually. I do not think there was any auto backup.

I think the only other way of recovering a corrupt registry was with attrib and ren commands, but this used the dao's, and if they've gone I think that's it. New ones should be created on each boot up though. Could it be that they are just hidden. If not then it seems that for some reason Windows is not producing them as it should.

Peter 12:59 24 Dec 03

Why do I think this is just another wind up? Newuser1064 seems only tooooooo eager to re-install Windows 95.

Perhaps if a reinstall is really what he wants to do, then maybe he should obtain a Windows 98 SE CD and install that instead of Windows 95.

Peter.

Newuser1064 10:16 26 Dec 03

No not a windup! I have been plauged by the notice that says Registry has encountered a problem.... then I have to say no and it starts but the notice appears again and again in the middle of the work you are doing, I discovered that the D0A files were missing, I used the
Ontrack Utilities windows registry defragmenter
and it worked fine for a few months, but now it does not appear to work. By using attrib...
dos says D0A files cannot be found!
I thought there would be a easier solution then re-installing windows. It certainly looks like that I have to reinstall windows, may switch over to win 98se, will have to buy one first.
Many thanks for you kind support everyone.
Jos.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…