Windows 8.1 Update - Touchscreen or PC Detection

RegScriv 09:52 13 Apr 14

Microsoft have apparently released a Windows 8.1 update that detects whether you're using a touch screen or a mouse & keyboard PC. It will then load either the touch screen friendly menu or the traditional Desktop accordingly. I've downloaded all the available Windows 8.1 updates and still get the Modern tile interface screen on start-up. Maybe there's a setting. Can anyone advise?

onthelimit1 10:09 13 Apr 14

If you get stuck, just download the free Classic Shell which makes a W8 work/ look like XP, Vista or W7 (your choice).

Woolwell 10:11 13 Apr 14

What device are you using it on? My understanding is that it will boot to the Modern interface on a tablet but on all other devices (laptop, desktop) it will boot to the desktop so it is not dependent on mouse/touchscreen. My laptop has a touch screen and it now boots to desktop.

I quite like the new update.

rdave13 12:14 13 Apr 14

On the desktop right click the task bar, properties and the navigation tab. You'll see different setting there for the start screen

RegScriv 12:55 13 Apr 14

Thanks rdave13. I've set my navigation to go to desktop on signing in etc. Haven't tried it yet. Woolwell, I'm using a standard pc.

RegScriv 12:59 13 Apr 14

Brilliant rdave13, it works a treat. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…