Windows 8.1 - can't reinstall WLAN driver

onthelimit1 22:21 18 Jun 14
Answered

Have a Sony VAIO that would not connect to internet. Uninstalled the device and downloaded the correct driver from Sony website. When I try to run the prog I get -

'You do not have access to make the required system modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators accout'.

Account is the only one one the laptop. Guess it's a permissions problem, but google little help.

Any bright ideas for me to try in the morning, please?

onthelimit1 22:47 18 Jun 14

Ah - just found a Vaio update app on the laptop, and that seems to be by-passing the problem. Will leave it to run overnight.

onthelimit1 08:19 19 Jun 14

All updates installed except the WLAN which failed.

So, how can I overcome the problem of permission?

onthelimit1 09:44 19 Jun 14

Overcame this problem but running the installer in safe mode. However, still no WLAN device showing in Device Manager

Jollyjohn 13:39 19 Jun 14
Answer

It would suggest the WLan hardware has failed.

Boot into BIOS and ensure the WLan device is enabled then look again in device manager.

(do double check you haven't switched wlan off, I think it is FN+F1 on a Vaio)- this is doubtful as I would still expect to see the device in device manager.

The next step is to open the back of the laptop and physically check the wlan chip is seated properly.

onthelimit1 16:48 19 Jun 14

Thanks jollyjohn - had to strip the lappy to get to the minicard (unlike most where they are under a hatch). Tried reseating with no change. Found an old broadcom minicard (different number to the Sony one) - plugged it in and it was recognised in DevMan straight away. Have found the correct one on ebay for a tenner, so all should be OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…