Windows 8 Recovery Media

Taff™ 03 Nov 12

Just managed to mess up my first Win 8 setup and can't access the Windows system. Can someone point me to a download for recovery media. (64 bit)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 03 Nov 12

see here Refresh

Taff™ 03 Nov 12

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I can't get Windows 8 to boot and I haven't burnt the recovery media yet. (Which is what I'm looking for) It won't even go into safe mode or to the Lenovo onekey recovery.

The actual message I've got is:

A required device can't be accessed Error code 0x0c0000225 and relates to windows\system32\winload.efi

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 03 Nov 12

What did you install it from?

If you have only just got it then do a clean reinstall.

Taff™ 03 Nov 12

It's a new Lenovo H520s from PCW (I know, don't ask - not my choice!) Everything was installed fine and working. Then I tried to repartition the 1TB drive and on reboot - you guessed it .....

The Lenovo recovery "Onekey" accessed using F2 just doesn't work although I can see the various partitions using Linux and GParted. Any ideas?

rdave13 03 Nov 12

Open your saved email receipt from Microsoft then you can access your account online. Once logged in you can download 8 again, after it gets the files ready you can select 'install by creating media'. That will give you the iso file. You could use that to try a repair.

Taff™ 03 Nov 12

rdave13 - Thanks but this was my first Win8 install for a friend of mine at the pub. Didn't register it with Microsoft and turned off any usage feedback or anonymous stats when I installed it. (That might have been a mistake!)

Taff™ 03 Nov 12

what exactly is the file winload.efi and where should it reside? What does it do?

rdave13 03 Nov 12

This gives some idea.

Taff™ 03 Nov 12

Have to admit that I don't quite understand all that. The Active Primary partition for Win8 is NTFS. Don't recollect any partition formatted as GPT. Hang on - I'll check!

rdave13 03 Nov 12
Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Wacom Cintiq 27QHD review

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message