Windows 8 Recovery Media

Taff™ 16:14 PM 03 Nov 12

Just managed to mess up my first Win 8 setup and can't access the Windows system. Can someone point me to a download for recovery media. (64 bit)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:34 PM 03 Nov 12

see here Refresh

Taff™ 17:11 PM 03 Nov 12

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I can't get Windows 8 to boot and I haven't burnt the recovery media yet. (Which is what I'm looking for) It won't even go into safe mode or to the Lenovo onekey recovery.

The actual message I've got is:

A required device can't be accessed Error code 0x0c0000225 and relates to windows\system32\winload.efi

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:38 PM 03 Nov 12

What did you install it from?

If you have only just got it then do a clean reinstall.

Taff™ 17:53 PM 03 Nov 12

It's a new Lenovo H520s from PCW (I know, don't ask - not my choice!) Everything was installed fine and working. Then I tried to repartition the 1TB drive and on reboot - you guessed it .....

The Lenovo recovery "Onekey" accessed using F2 just doesn't work although I can see the various partitions using Linux and GParted. Any ideas?

rdave13 18:22 PM 03 Nov 12

Open your saved email receipt from Microsoft then you can access your account online. Once logged in you can download 8 again, after it gets the files ready you can select 'install by creating media'. That will give you the iso file. You could use that to try a repair.

Taff™ 18:28 PM 03 Nov 12

rdave13 - Thanks but this was my first Win8 install for a friend of mine at the pub. Didn't register it with Microsoft and turned off any usage feedback or anonymous stats when I installed it. (That might have been a mistake!)

Taff™ 19:07 PM 03 Nov 12

what exactly is the file winload.efi and where should it reside? What does it do?

rdave13 20:18 PM 03 Nov 12

This gives some idea.

Taff™ 20:53 PM 03 Nov 12

Have to admit that I don't quite understand all that. The Active Primary partition for Win8 is NTFS. Don't recollect any partition formatted as GPT. Hang on - I'll check!

rdave13 20:56 PM 03 Nov 12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off