Windows 8 - failure to configure updates.

onthelimit1 08:54 23 May 14
Answered

Was given a new ASUS All-in-One with windows 8 to setup, update and install 8.1.

Problem – updates download and install, but around 95% of ‘configuring updates’, message pops up that it’s failed and reverting changes.

Things I’ve tried – reset PC to factory settings – same problem. Downloaded the MS fixit tool which found and cured problems – same. Ran through all the stages of the MS sequence for this fault down to trying in clean boot – same.

Windows won’t let me download W8.1 until the W8 has been updated I’ve scoured the internet with no success and just wondering if anyone has seen this snag before I send the PC back as having a possibly corrupt OS.

onthelimit1 08:56 23 May 14

Forgot to add that initially there were 150 updates. I've tried with just a few selected, but same thin happens.

rdave13 09:26 23 May 14
Answer

Sometimes an usb peripheral can do this. If it's a touch screen try without a mouse connected.

onthelimit1 09:49 23 May 14

jock1e - that's the page I've tried. rdave - I did have a mouse plugged in, so removed that and trying again.

George Janis 10:54 23 May 14

Hi onthelimit1, since you are facing problem in configuring Windows 8 updates on your computer. Try these simple steps that may help you as these steps I discovered from Click4Support experts once when I got stuck in the same situation - • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.) • Type command prompt in the search box. • In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click Run as administrator. • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands exactly as they appear. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter. • Run Windows Update again.

onthelimit1 11:12 23 May 14

Thanks George - I had seen that solution when I was strolling around the internet, but updates seem to be working at the mo. Need to wait until they have all completed to be sure,

onthelimit1 08:48 24 May 14

All 100+ updates installed, and 8.1 downloaded and working OK. Looks as though it must have been the mouse - how odd!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…