Windows 8 antivirus and installing shareware antivirus

badgermansix 02 Jul 13

My friend has just bought a new laptop and is now using Windows 8 rather that WinXP. I know nothing about Windows 8 (and only a little about XP), I can't look at the machine because she live 100 miles away. What security comes with this (like MSE), and should/could she install any freeware/shareware antivirus? Thank you very much.

onthelimit1 02 Jul 13

It is supplied with MS Defender (a combination of MSE and the old Defender). You can install freeware such as Avast , AVG etc. If you do, Defender is automatically disabled. You can also instal the likes of malwarebytes, superantispyware etc.

spuds 02 Jul 13

Don't overcrowd the new laptop with every free bit of 'anti' software you see. Just keep to 3 or 4 recommended and well known free downloads available. And don't mix more that one anti-virus program, as this may cause a conflict problem.

badgermansix 02 Jul 13

Thank you both. I know Malwarebytes so I will tell her about that.

Thanks again.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Wimbledon 2015 live online: follow the tennis from your laptop or PC

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

HTC's head designer on what's exciting in designing for mobile right now

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message