Windows 7 won't shutdown

Dannyb 18:52 02 Jun 10

I have been trying to install CanoScan 5600F Scanner software onto my Windows 7 Home Premium but it seems to have now stopped me from shutting down my PC. I have to resort to holding down the on/off switch until it closes. I have uninstalled the scanner software but still my PC won't close down as it should. How can I get it to shutdown properly? I would be grateful for any advice.

BurrWalnut 19:10 02 Jun 10

Have a look at the event log. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt.

Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 200 series are shut down events.

Dannyb 19:26 02 Jun 10

Done that, got this:

Event[234]:
Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance
Date: 2010-05-31T14:11:26.144
Event ID: 203
Task: Shutdown Performance Monitoring
Level: Warning
Opcode: Shutdown Degradation
Keyword: Event Log
User: S-1-5-19
User Name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: ..........
Description:
This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:
File Name : PskSvcRetail
Friendly Name :
Version :
Total Time : 4635ms
Degradation Time : 635ms
Incident Time (UTC) : ?2010?-?05?-?31T13:08:24.847759600Z

What now? I have deleted my computer name from the above.

Miké 19:45 02 Jun 10

PskSvcRetail appears to be Panda av.

BurrWalnut 19:58 02 Jun 10

Your response to my post was “Done that, got this:” and “What now?”

You’re a tad abrupt and aggressive aren’t you? Ordinarily, I would have told you what to look for but I’ve decided against it.

However, being a polite person, unlike you, here is a clue ‘Ailuropoda melanoleuca’.

chub_tor 20:52 02 Jun 10

If it used to shut down correctly before you tried to install the scanner can you do a System Restore to a time prior to your changes? That at least should get you back to where you were. You won't lose any of your saved documents, pictures etc but you will lose any programmes you installed after the resore point and now.

woodchip 20:58 02 Jun 10

right click on task bar choose task manager\processors right click on items from top pres close until it shuts down making a note of what stops it

Miké 19:44 03 Jun 10

Perhaps the Ailuropoda melanoleuca needs to be fed some more bamboo shoots?

Dannyb 20:50 03 Jun 10

Thanks Mike, I uninstalled Panda Security and installed free, Avast and PC Tools Firewall. All works well now.

littlephoenix 05:40 04 Jun 10

To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on or shut down, e.g. an antivirus program, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). On this screen the problem is sometimes shown. If not, click View Performance Details in Event Log (Event Viewer). Events in the 100 series are boot events and I believe those in the 200 series are shut down events. These can be followed up by double-clicking them, then clicking Event Log Online at the bottom.

In XP and Vista, Microsoft’s Process Explorer is a boon. I haven‘t tried it in Win7 but I see no reason why it shouldn‘t work.
visit click here for further step by step instructions. good luck

shakeshake 07:53 04 Jun 10

I'm not sure if this is the correct solution, but have you tried installing the latest board management software downloaded from your motherboard manufacturer? It may not install without using the compatibility mode for Vista. You can use that by right clicking on the set-up.exec file within that download and choosing "troubleshoot". It would seem like the O.S. in your pc is trying to send a command to shut-down to the board but the communication is failing? Updating the drivers for the board might be the answer. I'd make a back-up image before trying it so you can re-store the O.S. though!click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac