Windows 7 won't boot past possible broken Hard drive attempting to recover/clone/copy hard drive

Xeiconfinsha 07:24 26 Nov 14

Hey guys, kinda new here, hopefully I'm posting this in the right forum section.

I'm not that super oriented with computers, I'll give it my best shot to explain what's going on here.

In short my PC just won't start. The light turns on, it boots up, and then I get a black screen with text referring to either "Start Up Repair (recommended)"

or

"Start windows normally"

If I choose start windows normally, it brings me to the black booting screen with the windows flag, then it proceeds to go back and restart the system, going back to the black screen. OR More likely it just stays stuck on the glowing windows flag.

This also occurs if I press F8 and go into safe mode. After listing all the components before going into safe mode, it simply restarts itself and goes right back to the black screen of the two choices.

If I select Start up repair, a grey loading bar appears below that on occasion freezes. If I manually reset the computer try it again, I get to a blue windows default background screen and the message

"Startup Repair Your computer was unable to start Startup repair is checking your system for problems...

If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might restart several times during this process. No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This might take several minutes.

Searching for problems.. (this is beneath a blue bar that has been going on for at least an hour)

There's also a Dos window that reads

X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

Anyone have any idea of what I have to do? A friend of mine thinks I may have to reinstall the operating system, or get a new hard drive entirely.

NOTE

My friend did in fact advise me of burning UBUNTU onto a disc, booting my PC on that, and then try to copy all of my data onto a portable hard drive. This worked briefly and it would take forever. It said it would require 2 hours just to transfer four jpg images to my External hard drive.

After getting as much as I could, UBUNTU froze, I restarted it, and now while in UBUNTU it won't detect my hard drive at all.

I have also attempted to make my defunct hard drive a slave, to no avail, which mostly just fails to boot the master hard drive.

My issue though is how would I take all of my things out of the hard drive, before installing a new OS/adding a new Hard drive.

thanks for the help

I have a custom built PC, with windows 7 Operating system. I believe it has a one terabyte hard drive, 6-8 gigs of ram. I can't get the specs on it because I can't get it working to find that information out

xania 11:49 26 Nov 14

It sounds to me as if your Operating System has been damaged beyond repair, and that you only option would be to re-install your system using the 'Return to Factory Settings' facility provided. Unfortunately, this would mean you would lose all you data, and, from what I can tell from your posting, you have not taken a back-up so you cannot repair your PC at present.

You first need to remove your heard drive and connect it to a working PC either as slave or in a caddy, and use this to copy all your data onto a new external device.

OR

Once connected to another device, you could partition your Hard drive and copy your data into a second partition.

Once you have your data copied, return the HHD to your own PC and re-install your system from scratch.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:14 26 Nov 14

To add to the above it appears it is probably the hard drive that has failed (corrupting windows) - Hence Ubunto cannot find hard drive.

So you may find your data is not recoverable and you will need to reinstall windows 7 to a new drive from a windows DVD and use the serial key off the sticker on the machine.

You can download a windows 7 iso file from here and burn to DVD

Xeiconfinsha 19:56 26 Nov 14

Well a minor update, I have finally managed to get it working a a slave drive, to an older hard drive of mine (It does appear in BIOS too). Unfortunately it's taking an incredible amount of time to just get data off of this hard drive. last night it took 8 hours to move 3 gigs of data elsewhere (I just went to bed and left it on)

I'm now attempting to take data out that only has 546 MB, and it says the time to copy this will take 8-9 hours

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:01 26 Nov 14

Certainly sounds as if the drive is really dying - time for a new Drive I think.

xania 09:12 27 Nov 14

And you really need to set yourself up with a decent back-up routine:

xania 09:13 27 Nov 14

Sorry but the last part of my postings keeps getting cut off.

xania 09:14 27 Nov 14

"All Programs"

"Maintenance"

"Backup & Restore"

Xeiconfinsha 20:39 28 Nov 14

well now I found out that anytime my hard drive is in no matter the OS I use, the PC won't start.. It just freezes during start upUNLESS I take the hard drive out. u_U

xania 10:44 03 Dec 14

Sounds as if the drive has completely died and, in the process, is now shorting out the electrics of the PC. I very much doubt that you will be able to get anything off that HHD now without the help of a recovery company. This can be quite expensive so I recommend getting a few quotes.

xania 10:49 03 Dec 14

Sounds as if the drive has completely died and, in the process, is now shorting out the electrics of the PC. I very much doubt that you will be able to get anything off that HHD now without the help of a recovery company. This can be quite expensive so I recommend getting a few quotes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac