Windows 7 from Vista: 32 or 64 bit?

InCog 21:23 28 Oct 10

The last thread I could find on this closed back in January. Ten months later, I'm wondering if anything has changed. I have just bought Windows 7 to replace the 32 bit Vista on my Dell Dimension and have to decide whether to opt for 32 or 64 bit. I do have 4gbs of ram of which only 3.25gbs are utilised. As far as I can tell, this may be the only advantage and my five year old Epson scanner may not work in 64 bit mode. Has software requiring 64bits made much progress since this thread closed?

northumbria61 23:00 28 Oct 10

I have been running Win 7 64 bit for a full year now without any problems. The only initial problem was with a 3yr old Canon scanner but did eventually manage to install it. Will utilise any additional ram you may install and is more secure.

Contrary to all belief - 32bit programs will still run.

64 bit is the way to go - you won't have any regrets once you have installed it.

InCog 08:34 29 Oct 10

Thank you for the advice. I think I'll give 64 bit a punt, as you suggest.

morddwyd 08:38 29 Oct 10

Agree entirely with northumbria61.

I've been running three copies of 64 bit with software some of which is ten years old, and hardware about five.

No problems at all, and that was a straight install from XP not Vista, so everything wanted new drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…