windows 7 upgrade

stormrider123 19:20 02 Aug 10

hi everyone I have a pc which used to have windows xp on it then I didn't like windows xp so I switched to Linux and installed ubuntu because it was free but after a while i started missing all my windows programs I know there are many replacements but there's nothing better then a the original windows version of it and so I want to install windows 7 and delete ubuntu is this possible and if so how ant what steps should I take.

start of buy telling me which version of windows 7 I should get and I really need to save up to get a new phone so nothing over around £120
any help is apreciated

stormrider123 19:26 02 Aug 10

I forgot to post in question how well would it work on my computer because I have only got 512MB of ram and the minimum is 1GB so would it still work

birdface 19:36 02 Aug 10

Going with this it should work.

click here

stormrider123 19:41 02 Aug 10

so does this mean I can successfully install windows 7 on my computer.

also forgot to mention this earlier
i want to go with the 32bit edition is this ok with 512mb of ram

rawprawn 19:52 02 Aug 10

Sounds as though Vista Home Basic would be your best bet.
Your spec will not support Winows 7.
click here

rawprawn 19:54 02 Aug 10

buteman may be right, but I wouldn't want to see you spend money on W7 only to find it won't work.

stormrider123 20:05 02 Aug 10

so just to make sure

so vista home basic 32bit would be perfect for a 512MB ram system

stormrider123 20:16 02 Aug 10

if vista home basic works is this the one in this link good

click here

birdface 20:26 02 Aug 10

Just going with my first click here.
W/7 actually uses less memory than Vista.

I know nothing about it just what I read.

As Myself and rawprawn are not 100% sure maybe wait for another opinion before you buy anything.
I do think that you would struggle with the 512 Mb I know mine worked Ok when using XP with the same amount of memory.

rawprawn 20:57 02 Aug 10

buteman is right, don't spend any money until you are absolutely sure, I have not run any computer with only 512 Mb since I had Windows 98 so I cannot definitely say.

Why wont it work 23:41 02 Aug 10

I don't think it is worth upgrading the computer to a newer version of Windows unless you are prepared to upgrade the RAM. Vista would be horrific with only 512MB (it's usually still quite bad with double that), and while Windows 7 is a much better operating system, I don't think it would run particularly well either. 512MB just isn't really enough anymore for a 'modern' operating system.

On a similar note, what is the spec of the rest of the computer? If the processor is getting on a bit or just plain gutless putting Vista or Windows 7 on it probably wouldn't help matters at all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…