Windows 7 upgrade

Eileanbeag 15:41 03 Jan 10

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista and am having problems with a number of programes although I did run the Instalation advisor download and nothing was reported. I find that I cannot return to Vista from the add/remove programme feature; I cannot return Dell Inspiron to Factory settings and System Restore does not work. If I just use the discs that came with the computer will I be able to restore it or is it not possible?

GaT7 18:24 03 Jan 10

What programs are you having a problem with?

Have you checked the manufacturers' websites for possible updates/patches so their software works in Win7?

Did you install 32 / 64-bit version of Win7? What edition of Win7 is it - Home/Pro/other?

Have you tried installing AND running them in Compatibility Mode for Vista click here?

You can cross-check the problem programs with the official Win7 compatibility list click here. The list is not necessarily conclusive, or up-to-date. There may be other ways to run them, like Compatibility Mode above or XP Mode (latter needs certain criteria to function). G

jamesd1981 18:32 03 Jan 10

was your vista and windows 7 the same edtion i.e. both 32 or both 64 there are some programs that will run in 7 64 bit even if their 32 but some programs have seperate versions for 32 and 64 if thats the problem try looking for a 64 bit version to download, also i have had a few pieces of hardware that worked with vista 32 but have known compatability issues with windows 7 64 bit, my microsoft lifecam vx-3000 wont work with it, and my tevion usb tv adapter wont work either and in the premium version of windows 7 you dont get a compatabilty mode you dont get that until the pro version or above.

GaT7 18:44 03 Jan 10

"...you dont get a compatabilty mode you dont get that until the pro version or above."

jamesd1981, I think you're confusing Compatibility Mode with XP Mode. G

jamesd1981 19:04 03 Jan 10

i thought it was the same thing crossbow how do you get compatabilty mode in windows 7 premium version ?

Eileanbeag 19:09 03 Jan 10

Have the right version - i.e., Vista andWindows 7 are both 32 bit. Downloaded Win 7 compatability software and they said no problems. Everything is very slow and I really just want to uninstall Windows 7 but this does not seem possible.

GaT7 19:15 03 Jan 10

Yes. One gets Compatibility Mode (CM) in older OSes as well - i.e. XP & Vista. You can try it yourself if you have XP/Vista/Win7.

This is CM click here. It runs without the need for creating a virtual PC.

This is XP Mode click here. It runs with the need for creating & using a virtual PC environment. G

GaT7 19:19 03 Jan 10

Sorry, the above post was for jamesd1981.

Eileanbeag, you said you 'upgraded' to Win7 - was that an upgrade install or a fresh install? If it was the former, the latter is worth a try. Do a thorough backup before attempting though.

"Downloaded Win 7 compatability software and they said no problems." - unfortunately, it's not the most accurate software in the world! G

Eileanbeag 19:23 03 Jan 10

Just put the disc in and ran it - if that is an upgrade install how do I do fresh install?

GaT7 19:23 03 Jan 10

click here for a detailed fresh install guide with screenshots.

Don't forget that all important prior backup of your data, emails, photos, music, etc. G

jamesd1981 19:29 03 Jan 10

cheers crossbow maybe i can get my webcam and tv stick to work in 7 now,
eileanbeag, do you have the original windows vista disk or did it come on a recovery partion ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac