Windows 7 System Restore doesn't restore

Graphicool1 16:56 PM 19 Nov 12

Windows 7

System Restore doesn't restore.

I set up restore points, it says it's done it. I click to restore and it shows me a whole slew of saved restore points. But nomatter which one I choose the result is always the same. It goes through the motions, reboots and tells me it hasn't changed anything?

All the Restore Points are saved on external drives. Do you think it would make any difference if I saved them to my C: drive? I was reluctant to do this, in case it might overwrite something?

mooly 17:09 PM 19 Nov 12

I think you've answered your own question. As far as I know the restore points or "volume shadow copies" are an integral part of the operating system. Even if you were to image a disc with something like Acronis and then restore that image your Windows restore points are "lost" and non functional.

So as far as I know you need to use the default locations and settings for system restore.

Graphicool1 17:33 PM 19 Nov 12

Thanx for that I'll take a look.

Graphicool1 17:36 PM 19 Nov 12

Further to your post mooly what if I were to transfer the System Restore points I have on the external disks to the C: drive, would they work then, or do I have to delete them and start again?

john bunyan 17:37 PM 19 Nov 12

I find that sometimes in W7 restore works and sometimes not. I had a problem last week with the big update (18 updates) and could not get system restore to work However I successfully used it a day or two later when I had trouble updating Google Earth. I use Acronis True Image for "proper" back up images and clones.

mooly 18:42 PM 19 Nov 12

I'm guessing they probably won't work if you transfer them over but its something you would just have to try.

Like John I use Acronis and in fact have system restore turned off completely.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…