Windows 7 System Restore - Automatic Points?

compumac 11:49 17 Nov 10

I only moved onto Windows 7 a few weeks ago and have created Acronis Images at every juncture. Yesterday I thought to start using System Restore before installing some older programmes and was surprised to find that a dialogue box came up stating that no Restore Points had been made. Does Win 7 not create them automatically?

GaT7 12:08 17 Nov 10

First check that System Restore (SR) is enabled. For a guide click here.

See how it goes for a day or two. If it's still not working, then some of the remedies in the MS thread may help click here. G

GaT7 12:15 17 Nov 10

Do you have a dual-booting system with XP & Win7 by any chance? If yes, XP may be deleting restore points in Win7. For a possible fix click here or click here (latter mentions Vista, but will also work with Win7). G

compumac 12:23 17 Nov 10

Crossbow7
Yes, System Restore is enabled for 'C' and disabled for all other drives/partitions. It was one of the first things that I did when acquiring Win 7 to ensure that only 'C' was enabled and nothing else. I do not have dual-booting. I assumed at the outset that Win 7 would create Restore Points as XP did.

GaT7 13:16 17 Nov 10

When you create a Restore Point (RP) & reboot, is the RP still present when you open SR to restore to it?

click here if you need to know how to create a RP. G

compumac 13:34 17 Nov 10

Crossbow7
Created the first Restore Point yesterday and today installed another programme but did not manually create a restore point before that installation. Going into System Restore NOW - yesterdays Restore Point is displayed as well as a restore point for todays installation (which I did not create). It is as if System Restore only came into being yesterday.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…