Windows 7 system imaging - any good?

Pineman100 17:34 28 Apr 10

I recently upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium (much to my relief).

Before this upgrade, I used Acronis True Image to image my system to a USB HDD, on a regular basis. However, I now discover that Windows 7 HP has a built-in imaging function, as well as its data backup facility.

Has anyone restored their system from an image created by W7? I'm interested to know whether the process is as reliable and effective as ATI.

User-312386 17:46 28 Apr 10

I would stay with ATI, as you know extremely reliable and faultless!

Pineman100 17:57 28 Apr 10

Fair comment, madboy.

I just prefer to avoid loading my computer with any software that I don't really need.

So it'll be interesting to see whether anyone has has any actual experience of the W7 system imaging software.

Technotiger 18:04 28 Apr 10

Hi, have a look at the opening question in this thread click here ... 'nuff said.

mfletch 18:17 28 Apr 10

The image backup works very good in W7 Ive used it a few times without any problems,

Just make sure you also create a rescue disc

john bunyan 18:41 28 Apr 10

I switched to W7 in Jan. Tried with W7 backup - took ages. Now use ATI 2010 both a clone and an image.

Why wont it work 19:37 28 Apr 10

I use the Win7 system image to back up all my pcs and have had to use it to restore the system several times and it's always worked perfectly.

Depending upon how much data you have it can take a little while to backup though (took over an hour for 300gb the other day, although that's probably because I was backing up via USB). More importantly though, it's free!

Zeppelyn 21:04 28 Apr 10

It backs up in about 15 mins for me (OS only as data on separate disk) for me and also impressed with the restore facilty. Restored a system image by booting from the Recovery Disk in about 10 mins.

ame 21:09 28 Apr 10

Don't knock it till you've tried it, I reckon. Sounds good enough for free. I wondered the same as Pineman 100, and will try it in future.

sunnystaines 21:54 28 Apr 10

click here[2]=Backup Restore

the link is a tutorial for your info.

not used in anger yet myself for a restore but use each week to make a backup image, know people who have used the restore option and all said it ran OK.

Pineman100 10:47 29 Apr 10

We seem to have two views here.

One is that the W7 imaging function takes a lot longer than ATI to backup the system.

The other, from a couple of people, is that - when a restore is needed - it works fine.

I have certainly made the necessary rescue disk to boot the restore function in the event of a system boot failure.

I tend to image my system in the evening, when I've finished using the computer. So, to be honest, it doesn't much matter to me whether the process takes one hour or three hours.

All of this tends to suggest that I can have confidence in the Windows imaging system.

BUT - I have (I think) discovered one thing that changes my view of that. So far as I can tell, the only option in the W7 imaging system is to have the new image overwrite the old one. I regard this as very insecure, because it leaves you without a fall-back position.

Or have I missed something? Can anyone confirm or refute this view, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…