Windows 7: Sound Recorder doesn't work

Eoghan 00:56 04 Nov 09

I have availed of Dell's upgrade offer and on my new Dell Studio 1550 laptop I have have upgraded to Windows 7, 64-bit version. Everything seemed to go well with the upgrade until I discovered that I cannot get Win 7's version of Sound Recorder to work.

My laptop has a built-in microphone, so I thought that maybe this was at fault. I then connected an external desk mic but this also failed to work. I next used Skype to test my sound system and I found that both the internal and external microphones everything worked perfectly in Skype, so obviously the problem is confined to Microsoft's Sound Recorder.

Sound Recorder uses IDT High Definition Audio Codec and IDT Audio Control Panel to work, but it is not possible to set IDT's HDMI option to enable HDMI, though it does indicate that digital sound is muted.

I don't know if the inability to change the IDT settings is responsible for Sound Recorder not working and I am now at a dead stop. I use Sound Recorder a lot, so if this problem cannot be resolved I will have to try uninstalling Windows 7 to see if I can get a workable version of Sound Recorder installed again.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or does anyone have any helpful suggestions? I live in hope!

ambra4 06:46 04 Nov 09

There is on such model as a “Dell Studio 1550” laptop listed at dell support you sure that it a

1550 or a “Dell Studio 1555” laptop

Eoghan 04:16 05 Nov 09

Thank you, ambra4, for your interest. Yes, the correct name for my laptop should be Dell Studio 1555. My mistake, but my problem has now been fixed.

Sound Recorder's IDT Audio Control Panel used an unfortunate selection of words for the recording setup. I ignored one of the available setup options because I didn't think it was applicable.
I didn't have an array of microphones and I was attempting to configure only the use of the single built-in microphone on my laptop, so I didn't think it appropiate to select "Microphone Array" as an option, instead I chose "Microphone/Line-In". I was wrong! When I eventually selected both "Microphone Array" and "Rec.Playback" everything started to work correctly. I hope that my experiences will be of help to someone who may be encountering similar trouble. Many thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now