Windows 7 Sleep Function

bpzoom 13:19 PM 19 May 12

Lately the Del Desktop PC with Windows 7 64 bit refuses to come out of sleep when it has been left for a period of hours. When I manually send it to sleep it does so and the mouse and keyboard are set to revive it. It revives as it should do if I move the mouse or hit a key. However whenever I leave it asleep for a long period such as several hours, it refuses to awake and I have to force a reboot with the power button. That produces the black screen which you get after a crash. Any ideas what might cause it to revive after a short period of sleep but not after a long period? I have changed nothing except that I have applied Windows updates.

Peter 14:26 PM 19 May 12

bpzoom,

Are you leaving the laptop power unit plugged into the laptop and switched on at the mains socket or just running the laptop from its battery when in sleep mode?

It could be that the battery is running down when in sleep mode.

Peter.

bpzoom 14:37 PM 19 May 12

Peter, It is a desktop PC.

rdave13 14:50 PM 19 May 12

Go to device manager and double click universal serial bus controller and in the usb root hub list, right click each one, select properties, click on the power management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. See if that helps.

Peter 14:53 PM 19 May 12

bpzoom,

Sorry, misread your posting.

Peter.

bpzoom 09:55 AM 14 Jun 12

rdave3 said Go to device manager and double click universal serial bus controller and in the usb root hub list, right click each one, select properties, click on the power management tab and untick Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. See if that helps.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4142092/windows-7-sleep-function/#ixzz1xkvvlChx

Thank you. I have tried that and it seems to have worked so far. Short spells and one 2+ hour spell all came out of sleep. Touching wood but many thanks for your advice.

bpzoom 12:48 PM 17 Jun 12

I regret to say that the problem has returned after 2 days of working OK. I guess I will have to live with it, until maybe Microsoft resolve it, assuming that is possible, given all the different configurations existing in the world.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone