Windows 7 on separate partition to programmes

redeyenewby 08:41 04 Jan 14

If |I install my programmes on a separate partition to my Windows 7 will it work?

northumbria61 11:09 04 Jan 14

You could have problems (but you may not) I would have a read here first enter link description here

chub_tor 11:15 04 Jan 14

northumbria61 is spot on, it is a gamble and not one that I would take. Your best bet is to have your programmes and your OS on one partition (preferably a separate drive) and clone that regularly to a separate hard drive so that you always have a recent back up. Put your data (Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music etc.) on another partition or drive and use something like Allway Sync to keep another hard drive updated.

Jollyjohn 11:24 04 Jan 14

I have always separated Operating System, Programs and data by partitioning my hard drive as C - Primary partition then creating an extended partition containing E: and F drives, keeping D: as my cd/dvd drive.

Not all programs give you the choice to install ant where other than C: drive but when they do I install them to E.

The exact method of Moving your "My Documents" is easily found on a google search. Basically create the folders on F: and follow instructions to move.

This gives a measure of protection to your files and programs should you need to re install Windows. You will need to re install programs but generally your settings and saved games are saved. In the above scenario every thing is on a single hard drive so if that drive should fail,retrieval could be tricky. Adding a second hard drive for data goes a step further in protecting your data.

hastelloy 12:34 04 Jan 14

I have my OS and most programs on C:, but all of my media software - video editing, photo editing, music etc programs are on my H: drive. I use H: as a sort of work space for my projects. Other than software, it has very little on it other than data etc needed for current projects. Never had any problems with this set up.

hastelloy 12:35 04 Jan 14

I have my OS and most programs on C:, but all of my media software - video editing, photo editing, music etc programs are on my H: drive. I use H: as a sort of work space for my projects. Other than software, it has very little on it other than data etc needed for current projects. Never had any problems with this set up. Should have said that H: is a separate drive, not a partition.

john bunyan 15:43 04 Jan 14

Like Jollyjohn and others I have programmes on my C: Drive (120 Gig) and all Data under "My Documents" with sub folders in F: Partition. I use ATI to make images and /or clones of the C: Drive and much quicker mirror copies of the "My Documents" folder using "Freefilesynch" to other drives.

You can install the actual programmes (such as iTunes)on C but still ensure the actual music etc is on the data partition - in my case in F:\My Documents\ My Music\ iTunes\iTunes media\ music. The same can apply to Word, Photo software, and even Outlook.

john bunyan 15:46 04 Jan 14

PS I think some programmes use "Common Files" so the installation of the actual programmes (as opposed to their output data) on another partition may be a bit complicated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant