Windows 7 Security

SURVEY 29 Nov 11
Answered

What security do I need for a Windows 7 laptop? Is the Windows Firewall sufficient? I would add Avast AV. Windows Defender or Windows Security Essentials? Anything else?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 29 Nov 11
Answer

Windows 7 firewall is OK one only of the other Anti viruses you mention is also OK (my preference would be Avast) (MSE superceeds Defender)

Use spyware blaster as a blocker and Malwarebytes to check for spy/ malware.

something to check your emails for spam - Mailwasher / Spamihaltor

SURVEY 29 Nov 11

Thanks Fruit Bat. All noted and use Mailwasher already which I assume is compatible with Windows Mail?

SURVEY 06 Dec 11

OK. My new Windows 7 laptop arrives tomorrow. Is the general feeling that Avast for the AV program in preference to MSE. Plus spywareblaster. Is that it? Spybot recommended or necessary?? Mailwasher presently used and will continue with that.

buteman 07 Dec 11

Unfortunately most new computers come with trial security programs installed those have to be removed using the proper removal tool before installing Avast.

Now I came across this this morning but I have never used it before so cannot comment on it.But the 4 year free trial seems to sound Ok.

http://www.tipradar.com/giveaway-norman-security-suite-external.html

Maybe some others that have used it could comment on how good or bad it is.

buteman 07 Dec 11

Nope maybe forget that one.Looks like you get problems if you try and remove it so not worth the risk on a new laptop.

SURVEY 07 Dec 11

My laptop will come with a 'free' 2 year Mcafee suite. However, I do not want it and will remove it. Surely if it is not activated I should be able to remove it with its uninstaller/

rdave13 07 Dec 11

Yes it should remove in programs and features so long as you leave the icon (activating) well alone. Works with Norton as well.

SURVEY 07 Dec 11

I did read somewhere that it is necessary to activate Mcafee and then it can be uninstalled; not sure I like that idea at all. Hopefully Add/Remove will do the job unless anyone knows differently!

KRONOS the First 07 Dec 11

Use this to remove the bloatware that your new PC will come with.Decrapifier.

SURVEY 07 Dec 11

Chronus - does this act differmntly to Add/Remove?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message