Windows 7 retail or OEM

sputnick 11:29 AM 31 May 11

I am building a new PC for my duaghter am would like suggestions as to the O/S. I have always bought retail versions and already have retail version of W7 on my desktop. As the price of the retail copy is £45 more then the OEM what would anyone suggest. I pressume that if I installed my existing retail copy on another PC I would have trouble when activating.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:09 PM 31 May 11

I pressume that if I installed my existing retail copy on another PC I would have trouble when activating.

Yes if its still being used on the other machine.

Retail can be moved from machine to machine when each machine dies or becomes redundant.

OEM dies with the machine it was installed on.

sputnick 12:13 PM 31 May 11

Thanks for reply. It just seems a bit of a ripoff to pay that amount extra for the retail version.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:33 PM 31 May 11

Longer life expectancy as t can be moved onto newer machines

woodchip 12:38 PM 31 May 11

OEM dies with the machine it was installed on Not always, it depends where you get the oem disc, I bought one that can be used on other computers as its not been changed, Its just like a retail Disc. no manufacturers name logo etc on it. So if you bought from such as Ebuyer it should be like my oem XP disc

woodchip 12:41 PM 31 May 11

Prices from Ebuyer

Link at top is not showing, so copy and paste into address bar of browser then press enter

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=oem+Windows+7+&x=65&y=14

chub_tor 15:32 PM 31 May 11

If you need to install win 7 on more than one pc you could always get the 3 license upgrade version from Amazon if you already have a full retail version of XP you can use that for the upgrade or you can install from the upgrade using this workaround

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…