Windows 7 Remote Desktop Connection

Oldperson 12:59 23 Jan 12

Hi,

I have forgotten my user name and password for Windows 7 Remote Desktop Connection. Is there any way I can access my remote computer, or is there any way I can reset my Password and user name.

Thanks,

Derek sewell

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:31 23 Jan 12

The remote desktop user account and password must match a local user account and password.

Oldperson 15:23 23 Jan 12

Hi Fruit Bat,

Thank you for information, have set user account to have no password but remote desktop still requires user name and password, I think the problem has been caused by a software update as I only use 4 passwords and 3 user names to access computer systems. I have tried all permutations and I still can not access the remote computer. If you can offer any other suggestions I would be extreamly grateful.

Thanks Oldperson

robin_x 15:41 23 Jan 12

Workaround is to use Teamviewer or Logmein instead. They setup pretty easily and automatically.

(or TightVNC Server and Viewer)

Secret-Squirrel 16:06 23 Jan 12

Hello Derek

"have set user account to have no password but remote desktop still requires user name and password,......"

That's how it should. You can only connect to a Remote Desktop host with an account that is password protected. If RD didn't insist on that then it's likely your remote PC would be hacked into in no time at all.

When you you're next at the PC in question, make a note of the username and assign a password. Check too that RD is enabled. If there are other issues then post back for further advice.

Oldperson 17:21 23 Jan 12

Hi Robinofloxley and Secret Squirrel,

Thank you both for advice, I will look at both sugestions and report back as soon as I have time. Will not be today as other tasks have to take priority. But it will be some time tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Derek

Oldperson 14:52 24 Jan 12

Hello Robinofloxley

Have tried your suggestions and down loaded TightVNC, Teamviewer, and Logmein. They all appear to only allow acces to the remote computer via the internet. All I want is to acces my remote computer via the home ethernet wired network the remote computer does not have a keyboard, mouse or display. When windows Remote Connection worked it was fine did exactly what I wanted.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Derek (Oldperson)

Secret-Squirrel 16:04 24 Jan 12

"the remote computer does not have a keyboard, mouse or display...."

Sorry Derek, but you're going to have to connect all those things to the computer before you can start trying to fix anything.

"When windows Remote Connection worked it was fine did exactly what I wanted."

As I suggested yesterday, everything was probably working fine until you removed your Windows account password, so, because Remote Desktop can only connect to password-protected accounts, you've found yourself locked out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017