Windows 7 refuses to make a stable connection

robzwolf 14:42 29 Nov 10

I just bought myself a nice new Medion E4120 D on Saturday. It has a wireless-n chip (which is also wireless b/g compatible). My router is not wireless-n enabled. My new PC often refuses to connect to the router. When it manages to connect, it will often drop the connection again. I never have this problem with my netbook or my old desktop (which used an external wireless reciever (g)). It is really annoying as I cannot download anything from the internet or install programs properly because they need to activate/register online. I've changed the wireless chip's settings to IEEE 802.11b/g (it used to be IEEE 802.11b/g/n). According to Windows, I have a 'Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter'

I only bought this PC on Saturday (Aldi offer me a 60-day money back guarantee and the PC has a length 3-year warranty) so should I take it back?

After trying the troubleshooters and diagnosers there is still a problem.

Any help please?

Also, not sure if I should post this here but whilst I was browsing through the adapter's configuration window (Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Configure) in the advanced tab there are two options I want to know about:

802.11d - I have an option for Enable or Disable (it's disabled by default), what is it? another type of wireless?
Beacon Interval - Numeric Value (100 by default), what's this?

I also change the IEEE 802.11b/g/n to IEEE 802.11b/g (which I said earlier) in this window.

Help!!!

Robbie

robzwolf 14:45 29 Nov 10

also I have another icon in Control Panel> Network and Internet > Network Connections

there is Local Area Connection (obviously) Wireless Network Connection (my main wireless one) and then a weird Wireless Network Connection 2. What's the last one? Instead of the Realtek one, it is called 'Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter'. What's this for?

Ashrich 23:49 29 Nov 10

click here , for an explanation .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:57 29 Nov 10

If the driver version is lower than 1086.23.0607.2010 then click here and download and update the wireless driver to this version .

Ashley

proudfoot 12:31 30 Nov 10

I had a problem with a laptop that had problems connecting to my hub although a PC in the same room as the hub connected every time.
After much head scratching changing the wireless channel from the default 6 to channel 11 rectified the problem.
D/L inSSIDer from click here
This will show you all the wireless activity that could be affecting your network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch