Windows 7 Professional Windows Defender

Border View 11:38 09 Oct 14
Answered

New laptop running Windows 7 Professional. I have downloaded and installed Avast free antivirus. Looking at the setting laptop is also running Windows Defender. Should I turn off Defender and if so how.

Your help would be appreciated. Thank you.

john bunyan 11:54 09 Oct 14

See here:

Defender

I think you can also do it via Action Centre.( I use Avast also with W7 Ult)

Border View 12:31 09 Oct 14

Please help me get my head around Defender. Is it a firewall or antivirus. I don't think Avast Free comes with a Firewall.

Do I need Defender and an Antivirus?

Border View 12:31 09 Oct 14

Sorry, I should have said thank you for responding Jock1e and John Bunyan.

john bunyan 12:42 09 Oct 14

Defender is an anti spyware programme but not a very good anti virus one. I just remembered how I turned mine off. Open Action Centre (little pennant in taskbar) .Click on Security. In section on "Spyware and Unwanted Programmes" , click on "View installed antispyware programmes" . You will see Avast and Defender, on. Right click on Defender. select Turn off.

john bunyan 12:46 09 Oct 14

PS I would also have Malawarebytes and Superantispyware - free but you need to scan and update manually. I use the pro version of Malawarebytes (Jock 1e gave me a link to the lifetime subscription) as I found a few months ago that Avast in the continuous web surveillance mode `seemed to interfere with iCloud

john bunyan 12:47 09 Oct 14

PPS The Windows Firewall is fine for W7 - I would leave it alone.

Woolwell 13:37 09 Oct 14

When referring to Defender you have to make sure whether you are talking about the W8 or W7 version. The W7 version is anti-malware only and isn't that good. The W8 versions includes anti-virus and replaces MSE but also is not very good.

You can turn it off, which is what I have done. See Turn Windows Defender W7 on or off

Border View 13:57 09 Oct 14
Answer

Many thanks for your responses. I have Malwarebytes (bought for version) and Superantispyware on my desktop so shall download them for the new laptop.

In the meanwhile I shall turn off Defender.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now