Windows 7 - Preferred DNS server sets to 127.0.0.1 automatically

My problem is with the IPv4 properties; I get connection when DNS is set to 'obtain automatically' but a few minutes after setting this, it changes to a preferred server called 127.0.0.1, the reroute to nowhere! Now i have to go back there every few minutes and change this setting if I want to connect.

Google was useless, I ran anti-malware, rebooted and reset all connections to both WiFi and Ethernet connection to the modem, tried all the command prompt tricks and nothing works.

Secret-Squirrel 11:59 20 Aug 14

Rather than spend time trying to identify the cause, a suitable workaround may be to assign fixed DNS servers such as the excellent ones provided by OpenDNS. Add the following IP addresses as the preferred and alternate servers and let me know how you get on:

Batch 12:59 20 Aug 14

Where exactly are you seeing this - i.e. function on your PC are you using?

As far as I know, by default the DNS server on your PC should be set as the IP address of your router (mine certainly is). It is the router that has and uses the IP address of a real DNS server in the outside world.

Secret-Squirrel 13:37 20 Aug 14

Batch, the OP's seeing these changes appearing in "the IPv4 properties" for his network adapter.

".....the DNS server on your PC should be set as the IP address of your router....."

You can tell a PC to use any DNS server. I recommended OpenDNS's because they're fast, reliable, and offer anti-phishing protection.

Batch 17:24 20 Aug 14

Secret-Squirrel

Of course, you can tell your PC to use any server. But why would you be telling your PC to use anything other your router? Your router connects to your ISP and (typically), by default, the router will use the ISP's preferred DNS. If you want to use a different DNS, the place I would do it is on the router, not on the PC.

Having said that, if you are out and about (e.g. using WiFi hotspots) and (for reasons of not wanting your activities monitored by certain servers) you might want to set your portable device up to use other DNS.

Secret-Squirrel 17:46 20 Aug 14

" But why would you be telling your PC to use anything other your router?"

Why wouldn't you? Most folks leave their DNS server settings on auto and some prefer to manually set a different server. Both methods work equally well.

" If you want to use a different DNS, the place I would do it is on the router, not on the PC."

That's fine too but please remember that I'm trying to implement a specific workaround for the OP's problem and not give general tips. It's quicker and easier for me to provide DNS addresses that I know rather than get the OP to try and find the IP address of his router.

alanrwood 18:12 20 Aug 14

I always understood that the DNS setting in Windows overrode the router setting.

If it is consistently being reset to 127.0.0.1 then something is causing it to reset, most likely some form of malware. What malware removal programs have you tried. Malwarebytes? AdWCleaner etc.

alanrwood 19:01 20 Aug 14

Hi Batch

The router IP is the setting for the default gateway not the DNS. The router does not have a DNS Lookup Server itself. It is able to allocate internal IP addresses within the network.

Batch 19:02 20 Aug 14

It seems this sort of issue can often be caused by malware or encrypted DNS services (which create a proxy so that all the traffic is redirected).

See HERE

Following that it might be a good idea to look at what is watching port 53. You can probably do this via Resource Monitor under TCP connections (you may need to scroll across to see the Remote Ports column). Alternativiely try SysInternals as the other article suggests.

Bris 20:38 20 Aug 14

Your DNS cache may be corrupted. From a command prompt run command IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…