Windows 7 Possible problems with PDF

Wirksrail 15:03 21 Apr 10

I have recently bought a laptop with Windows 7 installed. Being involved with a local charity (VAT registered) I have tried to download past VAT returns which should appear as PDF files.

The response I get from the HMRC website is "Unable to download return - unable to open this internet website. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found". I cannot get any response from HMRC.

Any suggestions please.

Vic

john bunyan 15:38 21 Apr 10

Do you have Adobe Reader (free)? Click here:
click here

Wirksrail 16:18 21 Apr 10

Thank you. I had (I think) installed Adobe Reader, and have reinstalled it. It asked me if I wanted to repair or remove it - I clicked on repair.

It went through the setup, and I clicked on Finish when prompted. Immediately the AR screen went blank and turned dark grey, but the desktop behind the AR 'screen' was still visible.

Vic

Pine Man 16:51 21 Apr 10

I had problems with Adobe Reader and certain sites early on with Windows7. I don't know what caused the problem BUT it never materialised when I changed to Foxit to read pdf's. click here

john bunyan 16:57 21 Apr 10

I have no problem with Adobe reader with W7 (64 bit).By all means try Foxit, but I suggest you uninstall Adobe and reinstall.

Sea Urchin 18:00 21 Apr 10

I also had a problem downloading .pdf files from the HMRC site - not quite the same as yours but similar. I don't think it's a problem with Adobe Reader, but rather with the HMRC setup. If your Adobe Reader opens other .pdf files OK then try the solution they offered me (found their helpline very 'helpful' by the way).

In Internet Explorer go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Security | tick the box beside Do not save encrypted pages to disk. Click Apply and OK. Then try to download again. Hope it works for you as well.

Wirksrail 19:24 21 Apr 10

Thanks for the replies. I shall keep a note of Foxit to try, but in the meantime I reinstalled Adobe Reader and acted on Sea Urchin's advice.
It worked!. Thanks to all.

Sea Urchin 20:37 21 Apr 10

Good to know that it worked OK - thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos