Windows 7 not recognsing usb sticks

VNAM75 23:47 16 Aug 10

I have a dell laptop with windows 7 64 bit but it does not recognise my 2 usb sticks - one is a 128mb and the other a 8gb. Both are fine in my xp pc. Is this one of the things that windows 7 will not recognise, like older printers and scanners?

Where can I get windows 7 compatible sticks or is there a software/driver solution to this?

kristain 06:56 17 Aug 10

try the following:

1. uninstalling the drivers for my devices and reinstalling them. to download click here

2. unplug your computer from power supply

if still face the problem click here for help

gengiscant 10:28 17 Aug 10
  VNAM75 13:59 17 Aug 10

Thanks both, I don't want to reinstall anything because its a new laptop. The dell helpline in the link does not support dell products! I'm quite certain its windows 7 not recognising older hardware so will just have to accept it - have also tried it on another windows 7 laptop which it does not work on either.

coolteach 17:23 17 Aug 10

I had a similar problem on my Win7 Netbook - some USB sticks worked but others didn't. Turned out that it was because I was using an SD Card in the SD Card slot for ReadyBoost. Removed this and all my USB sticks worked fine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…